It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:10 pm
Change font size

AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Warrant Officer Status

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Unread postby Caim_Dubh » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:14 am

As a sidenote for this the US Army is currently trying to align warrant officer training directly with officer training, where WOs and officers attend officer leadership training together at various points, WO1/2LT, CW3/CPT, and maybe others. This is only in the works, though, and would only be for generic Army officer leadership courses.

Also, the Army is talking about constraining WOs to the ten-years-of-commissioned-service rule, as in a WO must serve ten years of commissioned service to retire as a warrant officer. This is the current rule for commissioned officers. Don't know when the push will come, but hopefully I'll be already be a warrant officer by then so I can get grandfathered in.
SFC, USA
BAMFETS
Caim_Dubh
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby LONDON » Fri May 16, 2008 8:12 pm

Caim_Dubh wrote:As a sidenote for this the US Army is currently trying to align warrant officer training directly with officer training, where WOs and officers attend officer leadership training together at various points, WO1/2LT, CW3/CPT, and maybe others. This is only in the works, though, and would only be for generic Army officer leadership courses.

Also, the Army is talking about constraining WOs to the ten-years-of-commissioned-service rule, as in a WO must serve ten years of commissioned service to retire as a warrant officer. This is the current rule for commissioned officers. Don't know when the push will come, but hopefully I'll be already be a warrant officer by then so I can get grandfathered in.

The plan is for WO1s to do the Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC II) with Second Lieutenants. This was supposed to start in October 2008 but has been delayed. There is also a plan to commission warrant officers at the WO1 grade. Currently, WOs receive a commission at CW2.
LONDON
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby valtrex » Wed May 28, 2008 5:19 pm

valtrex wrote:In the Greek Military, WO is the highest enlisted personnel rank. Even the Draftee (or Conscript) Candidate Officers (men who have decided to serve their obligatory military service as officers) outrank WOs.

Hi,
sorry for quoting my self but I realised that I did not clarify my answer back in '05.
In reality, the Draftee (or Conscript) Candidate Officers (men who have decided to serve their compulsory military service as officers) outrank WOs only in the last month of their service, when they're promoted to 2nd Lt's and wear the 2nd Lt's insignia.
WO outranks the Draftee Candidate Officer, by right of seniority. IIRC, during my service in '91, my Platoon Leader was a DCO.
PS: Up until the mid 1930's, the respective rank was "Draftee Warrant Officer Candidate" and they were named WO in the last month of their 36-month compulsory military service.
valtrex
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Previous

Return to AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA