It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:42 pm
Change font size

AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

AYUDA! HELP! ATTENCION! ATTENTION!

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

AYUDA! HELP! ATTENCION! ATTENTION!

Unread postby hhbooker2 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:40 pm

Would really like to get some good pictures or scans of the past and present insignia, medals, uniforms, etc., of the Republica de Cuba! Be it pre-Independence, 1900's to 1959, the time of the 26 de Julio Revolucion, or current era. I have yet to see pictures or scans of actual rank badges, medals and ribbons, etc., maybe due to the embargo by the U.S.A.? I am apolitical and interested in seeing their badges from a collector's viewpoint. If you have anything printed, that would be very helpful; I can read Spanish, so language is no problem in translation. I scanned my stuff to CDs and can give you a CD of worldwide badges if you want to trade or whatever? Also would like scans of old photographs of Cuban airmen, sailors, and soldiers too! I look forward to hearing from you, write to me at: hhbooker2@yahoo.com and see my website and sign my guestbook and add comments at http://www.militarybadges.info/ Respectfully yours, tu amigo, Sarge "Heriberto" Booker en Tujunga, California :D
hhbooker2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby ChrisWI » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:03 pm

Have you checked out the Osprey book Central American Wars 1959 - 89? Theres a few pictures in there.

I dont think the lack of info has anything to due with the embargo but rather its a usual problem for Latin American nations; its basically impossible to find military or law enforcement related information about those countries due to lack of websites, books, etc.
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby hhbooker2 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:30 pm

ChrisWI wrote:Have you checked out the Osprey book Central American Wars 1959 - 89? Theres a few pictures in there.

I dont think the lack of info has anything to due with the embargo but rather its a usual problem for Latin American nations; its basically impossible to find military or law enforcement related information about those countries due to lack of websites, books, etc.

CHRIS: All the more reason for us to show on our own websites what the military uses in Central and South American armed forces. While down in Mexico I did come across several good publications on their military uniforms and insignia and brought them back, unfortunately I made the gross error or loaning them out and you know how it goes with loaning a good book, they never come back, sad to say! I try to show what I can on the insignia of Latin America at my own website and in photo albums at www.webshots.com too. I like what Pavel Movich does with World Rank Insignia, the drawings are excellent and I find the website extremely useful and praise it to the Heavens to others. I'll have to sit down and send my scans to Pavel to include, maybe branch insignia as well? Thanks, Chris! Respectuflly yours, Sarge Booker :D (POST SCRIPT: Did not know about the Osprey book, thanks!)
hhbooker2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby ChrisWI » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:11 am

Big mistake Sarge, any info about the modern day Mexican military is impossible to come by these days. Pretty much all the info on the net and in English langauge books is about the Alamo/Texas War of Indepedence, Mexican War or the so called war crimes in Chipias in the 1990s.
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Mexican Army Uniform Regulations (1970)

Unread postby hhbooker2 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:52 am

ChrisWI wrote:Big mistake Sarge, any info about the modern day Mexican military is impossible to come by these days. Pretty much all the info on the net and in English langauge books is about the Alamo/Texas War of Indepedence, Mexican War or the so called war crimes in Chipias in the 1990s.

CHRIS: I do have the Mexican Army Uniform Regulations for 1970, could scan the entire booklet as it is pretty much the same stuff used there now, except they added a fourth star for their top general officer. It is in Spanish, of course! The Mexican Army itself does not print and publish the booklet, it is done privately and purchased by individual soldiers, unlike here, they issue booklets to new U.S.Army recruits. I did not see much about the Alamo or the War in Chiapas except up here; the Government of Mexico prefers to remain quiet about their military in the State of Chiapas, believe it or not? :D Sarge
hhbooker2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Lukasz Gaszewski » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:23 am

According to a US calendar from the first half of 1940s (WWII) Cuban insignia then were basically like these used today. Unfortunately only officer ranks were depicted. I do not have this calendar any more only hand-made drawings of mine.

The ranks worn as shoulder straps were:
suboficial - one horizontal bar
subteniente - one chevron pointing down, broken in two in the middle
teniente - one chevron pointing down
primer teniente - 2 chevrons
capitan - 3 chevrons
comandante - 1 five pointed star
teniente coronel - 2 stars side by side
coronel - a triangle of 3 stars

General ranks wore rectangular patches w. rounded corners, I guess collar patches with following devices on them:
general - 1 five pointed star
adjutant general - crossed something that lookes like spears or pens (?)
inspector general - crossed spear (?) and key
quartermaster general - crossed spear and saber

Naval insignia worn as cuff laces from teniente de corbeta up to the rank of capitán de navío were identical to those of US Navy.

I hope this will help
Lukasz
Lukasz Gaszewski
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Laurence Strong » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:47 pm

Not my medals, and I don't want to steal the photo's, but here's a link on Cuban Medals

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14141&hl=
Always looking to buy Heeresverwaltungs (HV) and Sonderfuhrer items. Insignias, paperwork, photo's, Soldbuchs......
Laurence Strong
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA