It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:59 pm
Change font size

AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Title of 5-star US Navy grade

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Title of 5-star US Navy grade

Unread postby ELSUPREMO » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:35 pm

I wanted to clarify a point, perhaps minor, but important, that we often abbreviate the correct title of the US Navy 5-star grade. "Fleet Admiral" would be correct in some formats, but the actual, official, Congressionally approved title of the grade is Fleet Admiral of the US Navy.
ELSUPREMO

Unread postby Medic_in_Uniform » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Yes, I noticed that you always tend to use the full correct title! smilies-01

It's interesting that this is, in many ways, a more grandiose title than the proposed "Admiral of the Navy" for the speculative six-star rank - it's almost like the two somehow got reversed!
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby J.T. Broderick » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Yes, I noticed that you always tend to use the full correct title!

It's interesting that this is, in many ways, a more grandiose title than the proposed "Admiral of the Navy" for the speculative six-star rank - it's almost like the two somehow got reversed!

The only place I have ever seen that full title used is in the original legislation. The navy didn't even use it officially, for instance the 1945 Navy Register is headed by "Fleet Admirals:"

best regards,
Justin
J.T. Broderick
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby Medic_in_Uniform » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:52 pm

I wondered about that too - all the official USN stuff I can think of refers simply to "Fleet Admiral."
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

5-star Grade in US Armed Forces

Unread postby ELSUPREMO » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:40 pm

The correct and full title of "Fleet Admiral of the United States Navy" is a great title. I think laziness and space savings due to ink costs must be behind the practice of shortening it to "Fleet Admiral," as is commonly seen.
ELSUPREMO

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA