It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:18 am
Change font size

AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Canadian Rangers

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Canadian Rangers

Unread postby ChrisWI » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:26 pm

Do they have ranks or rank insignia?

For those who dont know maybe a brief introduction is needed. The Canadian Rangers are sort of a paramilitary reserve reconnaissance unit that mainly is responsible for providing a Canadian military presence in the far north Arctic areas and on remote areas along the East and West coasts to deter smuggling, illegal immigration, and to protect Canada's sovereignty and report unusual activity. They are probably one of the last military forces to still be issued the WW2 era Lee Enfield Mk4 rifle though I understand this will soon be replaced with a more "modern rifle" possibly the Canadian Forces standard issue C7 rifle. I believe they are similar to the Alaska National Guard's Arctic Scout Battalion.

They are a very fascinating bunch of highly dedicated men and women and I have long believed that the US should create a similar organization to supplement our Border Patrol, Coast Guard, Customs and the US military in defending the land and coastal borders.
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Canadian Rangers

Unread postby marcpasquin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:19 pm

ChrisWI wrote:Do they have ranks or rank insignia?

For those who dont know maybe a brief introduction is needed. The Canadian Rangers are sort of a paramilitary reserve reconnaissance unit that mainly is responsible for providing a Canadian military presence in the far north Arctic areas and on remote areas along the East and West coasts to deter smuggling, illegal immigration, and to protect Canada's sovereignty and report unusual activity. They are probably one of the last military forces to still be issued the WW2 era Lee Enfield Mk4 rifle though I understand this will soon be replaced with a more "modern rifle" possibly the Canadian Forces standard issue C7 rifle. I believe they are similar to the Alaska National Guard's Arctic Scout Battalion.

They are a very fascinating bunch of highly dedicated men and women and I have long believed that the US should create a similar organization to supplement our Border Patrol, Coast Guard, Customs and the US military in defending the land and coastal borders.

It would appear that those with ranks use the norml canadian insignias (master corporal):

As far as I could find, Sergeant is the highest rank in the rangers with officers being part of the Canadian Armed Forces' reserve.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby fortsmithman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:58 pm

The Canadian Rangers are more or less the equivalent of the US National Guard.
fortsmithman
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby fortsmithman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:03 am

ChrisWI wrote:Do they have ranks or rank insignia?

They are probably one of the last military forces to still be issued the WW2 era Lee Enfield Mk4 rifle though I understand this will soon be replaced with a more "modern rifle" possibly the Canadian Forces standard issue C7 rifle. I believe they are similar to the Alaska National Guard's Arctic Scout Battalion.

I was talking with one of the rangers here in town and they said the calibre of their new rifle would be .308 or 7.62mm. So that leave th C& out of the picture. That will probably mean tthey will be issued the FNC1 (semi auto version of the FN FAL) Or maybe even the FNC2 which is select fire.
fortsmithman
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby marcpasquin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:13 am

fortsmithman wrote:The Canadian Rangers are more or less the equivalent of the US National Guard.

They're not really comparable to be honest. The rangers are one part of the Armed forces reserves but I would say the primary reserve is actually a closer equivalent in term of appearance and organisation to the US National Guard except for not being answerable to the local Lieutenant Governor.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Erskine Calderon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:17 am

marcpasquin wrote:
fortsmithman wrote:The Canadian Rangers are more or less the equivalent of the US National Guard.

They're not really comparable to be honest. The rangers are one part of the Armed forces reserves but I would say the primary reserve is actually a closer equivalent in term of appearance and organisation to the US National Guard except for not being answerable to the local Lieutenant Governor.

They look like Webelos.
Erskine Calderon
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby marcpasquin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 am

Erskine Calderon wrote:They look like Webelos.

famous last word.

Seriously though, I think because of their nature, the uniform that was adopted was purposefully made to look halfway between civilian and military.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby jrichardn2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:26 pm

The Canadian Armed Forces have shown no hesitation to using blaze orange when appropriate. The beret for Search and Rescue Technicians is blaze orange, and I think it makes sense for the Rangers' uniform to be highly visible in an environment where it's hard to see things.

About the rifle - I was under the impression (no hard references, unfortunately) that it would be a more modern bolt-action, like that used by the Danish Marines that patrol Greenland. The Rangers work in a harsh environment.

And I don't think you could say anything in Canada was analogous to the U.S. National Guard. The Guard is somewhat sui generis. Our reserves are more or less exact counterparts to the U.S. Army Reserve etc.
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby marcpasquin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:44 pm

People have commented in the past on how the bright orange hoody looked less then military but was well suited as a all-purpose uniform.

One circumstance it definitely look bad though is during an award ceremony (fourth row, second image & group picture):

https://www.gg.ca/gallery.aspx?id=11382

You would think that they would allow rangers in those circumstances to wear some formal wear. Either a civilian blazer with the Ranger patch and rank pin or even allow them access to CF dress with removable insignias.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby jrichardn2 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:08 pm

Concur, tho' it's possible Master Corporal Nickel wanted to wear his Ranger hoodie!
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby marcpasquin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:14 pm

jrichardn2 wrote:Concur, tho' it's possible Master Corporal Nickel wanted to wear his Ranger hoodie!

I looked around but it would appear that i'ts standard.

The t-shirt version looks even worst:

The only exception I could find was this man, Ollie Ittinuar, wearing traditional innu dress. At the time of his death, he was the oldest serving member of the CF (93 years old). The fact that his career stretched back to being a RCMP special constable might explain why he chose a neutral method of dress instead.

Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby marcpasquin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:18 am

Something else of interest, canadian rangers patrol groups have Honorary Lieutenant Colonel.

What makes this interesting is that since rangers enlisted personnel wear a different uniform then their officers, unlike the rest of the CF , their honorary lieutenant colonel is the only honorary officer that can be told apart at a glance from a his serving counterpart.

Honorary LT colonel in the middle, reserve captain at the right.

Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Dorward_Bis » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:39 am

Yes, this rifle looks interesting)
aka Dorward and Dmitry Belokurov
Dorward_Bis
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement