[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 214: htmlspecialchars(): charset `]·Šíâpr ' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 87: htmlspecialchars(): charset `]·Šíâpr ' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 129: htmlspecialchars(): charset `]·Šíâpr ' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 130: htmlspecialchars(): charset `]·Šíâpr ' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1679: htmlspecialchars(): charset `Hu0' not supported, assuming utf-8
• View topic - Straps by Dr. Howard Lanham
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:22 am
Change font size

AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Straps by Dr. Howard Lanham

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Straps by Dr. Howard Lanham

Unread postby gghbisa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:27 pm

My library recently found for me a copy of “Straps, the evolution of united states army shoulder straps” by Dr. Howard Lanham

This is an excellent book detailing the history of shoulder straps.

I will try to add information form this book to other relevant topics, but here is some of the things I learned.

Shoulder straps were probably created in 1834 or 1834.

Original orders had no straps for Brigadier Generals.

An illustration of army shoulder straps used for the creation of shoulder straps by the marine corps. and an actual example form the uniform of Bvt. Brig. Gen. Henry Leavenworth, show that Brigadier Generals had silver oak leafs at each end of the strap in addition to the star in the middle until 1836.

The Marine Corps. started wearing shoulder straps in 1835, from then until 1840 the background was green matching the uniform.
gghbisa
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby gghbisa » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:57 am

The library would only let me have the book for 3 days. So, I contacted Dr. Lanham and he does have books available for purchase. They cost $35.00 postpaid and are available here:

http://howardlanham.tripod.com/book/book.htm#ORDER
gghbisa
VISITOR
VISITOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA