It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:50 am
Change font size

AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Canadian Governor General uniform

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Canadian Governor General uniform

Unread postby marcpasquin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 pm

It would appear that unlike the recent addition of gorget patches to CF army generals uniforms, the governor general only received crossed swords collar dogs:

https://www.gg.ca/images/11350/GG01-2015-0288-004.JPG
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Canadian Governor General uniform

Unread postby jrichardn2 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:05 pm

That's the GG's "Army" uniform, isn't it? I'm guessing it'd've had the crossed swords before. It's more that his uniform hasn't been updated.
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby marcpasquin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:12 am

jrichardn2 wrote:That's the GG's "Army" uniform, isn't it? I'm guessing it'd've had the crossed swords before. It's more that his uniform hasn't been updated.

the thing is, michaele jean did not wear them:

on the image you clearly see their presence on Charles who wears a canadian pre-2014 lieutenant general uniform unlike her.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Medic_in_Uniform » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:05 am

The crossed swords on the GG in your first pic look like a late add-on; talk about random placement...! The ones on Charles' uniform look better positioned.

I'm surprised no-one thought to upgrade the GG army uniform to include the general officer gorgets -- or maybe ones with bullion maple leaves, just to make them a little bit different to the oak leaves on the standard army gorgets. Examples of something like that appeared on here when the change of insignia was first discussed.
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby marcpasquin » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:06 am

Medic_in_Uniform wrote:The crossed swords on the GG in your first pic look like a late add-on; talk about random placement...! The ones on Charles' uniform look better positioned.

I'm surprised no-one thought to upgrade the GG army uniform to include the general officer gorgets -- or maybe ones with bullion maple leaves, just to make them a little bit different to the oak leaves on the standard army gorgets. Examples of something like that appeared on here when the change of insignia was first discussed.

While I assume that when they get around to it they will simply give the GG general gorget, I think that WW1 maple leaf gorget I linked to in another thread would not only look great but make sense symbolically.

Baring that, maybe they can come up with a new interesting design such as something like this that continues the green field bordered yellow on his shoulder straps and sleeves with some maple leaves added in.
Attachments
cf-gorget.png
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby jrichardn2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Marc, I've seen a JPEG of gorget that uses maple rather than oak leaves, but your reference to WWI had me look up an image of Canada's first general, Arthur Currie. Are the dots on his gorgets the maple leaves of which others speak?

ArthurCurrie.jpg

It pops up in another pic, clearly of the same era, maybe the same day, as this one. Otherwise, I couldn't find an image of a Canadian general in either world war, wearing gorgets with these "dots".
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby marcpasquin » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:02 pm

jrichardn2 wrote:Marc, I've seen a JPEG of gorget that uses maple rather than oak leaves, but your reference to WWI had me look up an image of Canada's first general, Arthur Currie. Are the dots on his gorgets the maple leaves of which others speak?

It pops up in another pic, clearly of the same era, maybe the same day, as this one. Otherwise, I couldn't find an image of a Canadian general in either world war, wearing gorgets with these "dots".

I was refering to these from the Canadian Military Virtual Museum:

http://mpmuseum.org/ww1ofrrank.html

They appear to be unique as I have never found any other pictures of them. It is even unclear if these were were even actually worn by some general who, one assume, had them custom made or if they might have been
prototypes.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby SFMRAS » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:21 am

jrichardn2 wrote:Marc, I've seen a JPEG of gorget that uses maple rather than oak leaves, but your reference to WWI had me look up an image of Canada's first general, Arthur Currie. Are the dots on his gorgets the maple leaves of which others speak?

ArthurCurrie.jpg

I'm 99% sure those are acorns. I've seen gorgets pictures with such acorns, and I believe the following offers a clearer image.
http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/uplo ... A26581.jpg

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/ranks/g ... signia.jpg
SFMRAS
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Medic_in_Uniform » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:47 am

Yep, the old monochrome pic of Gen. Currie does indeed show the standard pattern oak leaf gorgets with acorns. They're almost exactly the same as those worn by the Lt. General in the picture linked in the first post, and also a variant still seen in the UK.

The maple-pattern gorgets I haven't seen anywhere else either; perhaps they were a prototype...?

Whatever the origin of the originals though, that's definitely the pattern I had in mind for updating the GG uniform: it would visually bring it into line with the other general officer uniforms but the maple leaves are a nice differentiating detail from the career military officers.

They should definitely do that. The standard generals' gorgets would be better than nothing but the maple pattern would be perfect.
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby gghbisa » Sun May 29, 2016 11:16 pm

This picture, from the May 29, 2016 Kindle version of the Denver Post seams to show the Governor General in a very different uniform. The picture is no longer attached to the online version of the story.
Attachments
100_0898.jpg
gghbisa
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby marcpasquin » Mon May 30, 2016 12:18 am

gghbisa wrote:This picture, from the May 29, 2016 Kindle version of the Denver Post seams to show the Governor General in a very different uniform. The picture is no longer attached to the online version of the story.

yes, normally you would expect a lion on his shoulder pad, not a canadian flag. must have something to do with stormtrooper traditions.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AMERICA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA