It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:34 pm
Change font size

HYPOTHETICAL RANKS

Hypothetical U.S. Home Guard Ranks

Dealing primarily with contemporary and historical Earth nations. (Science-fiction oriented rank systems, such as Star Trek, Starship Troopers, etc.), should be placed in FICTIVE Rank Insignia.

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Hypothetical U.S. Home Guard Ranks

Unread postby Chuck Anderson » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Hi Everyone!

Here's another hypothetical branch I've created, namely the United States Home Guard, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security.

Chuck
[img][img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/ChuckAnderson_/ushomeguard18.jpg[/img][/img]
cbakiteskites@yahoo.com
I'm NOT a Civilian.....I'm A VETERAN!!!!
(USAF Veteran)
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Medals: 1
Sponzor < 150 EUR (1)
Location: University Place (Pierce County,State of Washington)

Unread postby Nila MadhaVa » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:44 am

and u indicate actual rank with the standard rank insignia?
We cannot choose the hour of our death. But we can choose what to do with the time we are given.
Nila MadhaVa
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:17 pm

Very interesting Chuck, I remember that this is similar to one of the ideas the govt. came up with after 9/11 but for some reason they decided not to implement it probably because it would cause conflicts with the Posse Comitatus Act of 1877.
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

U.S. sort of already has Home Guard ...

Unread postby jrichardn » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:40 pm

... at least with respect to uniforms.

The Bureau of Customs & Border Protection (CBP), which is a branch of the Department of Homeland Security, has military- or police-style uniforms, as anyone crossing the border or coming off an international flight, will see. Those officers from the old Customs side are still often armed. I once asked an officer what the rank insignia "meant", and he claimed he didn't know. My hypothesis is that it's related to their GS grade - except for supervisors.

The highest-ranked officer I ever met (at a business meeting) was the Supervising Inspector for the Long Beach disrict (which covered Port of L.A., too); he was armed, and wore a lieutenant-colonel's silver leaves.

Cheers, Richard Nelson
Toronto
jrichardn
VISITOR
VISITOR

Homeguard Status

Unread postby Chuck Anderson » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi Everyone!

For my "What-If" scenario, the United States Home Guard is a type of a last line of defence.

Many of their personnel would be like me, too old to be called back to the colours, but yet fit enough to serve in some capacity in an official uniformed service. Of course, other people, perhaps those who are (for one reason or another), unable (or unwilling) to serve with the active or reserve forces, would likewise be able to serve in the Home Guard.

The ranks of the Home Guard are more generalised than those of the active and reserve military forces, so personnel can feel that they are being led by "their own" people and not by someone imposed upon them from the outside.

In my "What-If" scenario, Home Guard units would also be serving with other service branches.
Also in dire emergencies, Home Guard units could be sent overseas into actual combat situations.

Chuck
Last edited by Chuck Anderson on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cbakiteskites@yahoo.com
(USAF Veteran)
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Sponzor < 150 EUR (1)

Unread postby Miklós Lovász » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:17 am

Only one thing: in the US military symbolystic, silver always supersedes gold (2nd LT vs 1stLT, MAJ vs LTC). Shouldn't you use silver bars for officers, perhaps?
Miklós Lovász
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Gold vs. Silver

Unread postby Chuck Anderson » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:51 pm

Miklós Lovász wrote:Only one thing: in the US military symbolystic, silver always supersedes gold (2nd LT vs 1stLT, MAJ vs LTC). Shouldn't you use silver bars for officers, perhaps?

Hi Miklos!

The main reason why I have the U.S. Home Guard insignia as I do, is that it is not a branch of the U.S. military, but rather, it's a "citizen force" and part of the Department of Homeland Security, and I wanted to see if such a force (i.e. organisation), could be formed and operated with a minimal rank structure.
With this minimal rank structure, I was dispensing with many of the traditions such as silver outranking gold.
As I said, this is for a work of fiction (currently in progress), so things can still change.

Chuck
cbakiteskites@yahoo.com
(USAF Veteran)
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Sponzor < 150 EUR (1)

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to HYPOTHETICAL RANKS