It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 am
Change font size

HYPOTHETICAL RANKS

USN Civilian Veterinarian (O-6 Equivalent)

Dealing primarily with contemporary and historical Earth nations. (Science-fiction oriented rank systems, such as Star Trek, Starship Troopers, etc.), should be placed in FICTIVE Rank Insignia.

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Zdzislaw Rudzki

USN Civilian Veterinarian (O-6 Equivalent)

Unread postby Chuck Anderson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi Everyone!

Presented here is an illustration of a United States Navy Civilian Veterinarian, (who holds the equivalent rank of Captain (O-6).

This officer's rank and position is similar to that of a Civilian Naval Official (Marinebeamten), found in the German Navy of WW2.

Chuck
cbakiteskites@yahoo.com
I'm NOT a Civilian.....I'm A VETERAN!!!!
(USAF Veteran)
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Medals: 1
Sponzor < 150 EUR (1)
Location: University Place (Pierce County,State of Washington)

US Navy Civilian's

Unread postby 60bill » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi
Tell me, why two bird's on the strap?
I thought civilian's in the navy had the authority of thier position, but didn't have uniformed rank?
Must be hard to differentiate between officer's and civilians, confusing for ratings.
One thing about the beamten rank used in Germany, it was quite distinct from military rank and easily reconised.
Fear is the best weapon
60bill
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Re: US Navy Civilian's

Unread postby Chuck Anderson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:06 pm

60bill wrote:Hi
Tell me, why two bird's on the strap?
I thought civilian's in the navy had the authority of thier position, but didn't have uniformed rank?
Must be hard to differentiate between officer's and civilians, confusing for ratings.
One thing about the beamten rank used in Germany, it was quite distinct from military rank and easily reconised.

Hi 60bill!

These are hypothetical rank insignia, so some creativity is allowed in contrast to those in the real world.

The first eagle at the top of the insignia bears the initials "USN", is in gold, and is similar to the "crow" worn by petty officers.

The second eagle is in "silver" (showing the equivalent O-6 rank of Captain.)
There's no confusing the top gold eagle of one style, with the second silver eagle of another style.
The silver eagle insignia is used for the civilian in place of the 4 medium gold stripes of an actual Navy officer of that rank.
A quick glance at the nomenclature of the insignia on the shoulder strap would differentiate military and civilian.

As for the marinebeamten, this is just a comparison of categories between the marinebeamten and the USN civilian. I had to compare it to something.

Chuck
cbakiteskites@yahoo.com
(USAF Veteran)
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Sponzor < 150 EUR (1)

Unread postby ChrisWI » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:26 pm

In real life, do US Navy civilian members wear uniforms?

What about on the US Navy Military Sealift Command vessels where over half the crew are often made up of civilians?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Chuck Anderson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:32 pm

ChrisWI wrote:In real life, do US Navy civilian members wear uniforms?

What about on the US Navy Military Sealift Command vessels where over half the crew are often made up of civilians?

Hi Chris!

I'm not really sure if there is any category of civilians in the USN that are uniformed and given rank, but I do know that they had them in the USAF.
They were called Air Reserve Technicians, and they were given uniforms and ranks even though they were civilians.

As far as the civilian component of the Miliatry Sealift Command, I'm not sure, but it would be interesting to look it up.

Chuck
cbakiteskites@yahoo.com
(USAF Veteran)
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Sponzor < 150 EUR (1)

Navy Civilian

Unread postby 60bill » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi
Got the bit about hypothetical, Just thought two birds overdoing it a bit.
I suppose I'm comming from the angle of using all silver for civil and gold for branch.
I seem to rember reading something about civilian war time attachments to vessals for sea trials.
I don't think they came under direct Navy rule, but answered to the shipyard.
Your comparison to Germany is closer, although the British Royal Navy had a uniformed civil branch rated as warrant officers, not strictly civilian.
Then again I couldn't imagine someone from the Kriegsmarine beamten of 1935/45 giving his months notice.
Would be interesting to find out if US forces rated civilians and ranked them!
Fear is the best weapon
60bill
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to HYPOTHETICAL RANKS