It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:06 pm
Change font size

AMERICA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Service de Police de la Ville de Montréal

Police, Security

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Service de Police de la Ville de Montréal

Unread postby dcfowler » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:35 am

There is a French-language police drama on CBC Radio One in Québec (available on DVD) about Montréal police officers that is pretty decent.

In any case, on the season one set, the cast members are undergoing training by real SPVM constables on one of the "making of" documentaries that is included. In one segment, they receive familiarization on SPVM rank insignia. The slide that the officer is showing them is pretty close to what uniforminsignia.org in terms of insignia and titles at:

http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option= ... esult=2227

The chart shown included both slip-on rank and regular epaulets and also cap visor embellishments.

I would also note that instructors in the segment, apparently regular constables, were wearing slip-ons that had "SPVM" at the bottom of the slip-on, and either "Formation" (Training) or "Instructeur" (Instructor) towards the top. Not sure what the difference between the two variations was.

Another variation was a sergeant with "SPVM" below the stripe and "Relations Medias" at the top of the slip-on.

Dave
dcfowler
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Re: Service de Police de la Ville de Montréal

Unread postby jrichardn2 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:57 pm

SPCUM is the initials of the service's old name (Service de Police de la Communauté Urbaine de Montréal). The name was changed almost 13 years ago, so I imagine all you'll ever see is SPVM.
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby dcfowler » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:31 am

An interesting thing about SPVM/SPCUM was that the documentary pieces were filmed in 2009, and the real-life constables were wearing a mix of old and new-style shoulder flashes.

Dave
dcfowler
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby marcpasquin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:27 am

dcfowler wrote:There is a French-language police drama on CBC Radio One in Québec (available on DVD) about Montréal police officers that is pretty decent.

I assume you're talking about 19-2 in which case they are technically not part of the "Service de police de la ville de montréal" (SPVM) but the fictional "service de police métropolitain" (SPM). Uniforms, patches and logo are similar but different.

You can see the patch of the SPM compared with the SPVM one:
spm-spvm-patch.jpg

For some reason, writers of Quebec fiction often choses not to use the real names of entities. For example, both the series Omerta and the movie Bon Cop, Bad Cop has a police force clearly based on the "Sureté du Québec" but refered to as "Sureté Nationale" although oddly enough, it is refered to by its real name in 19-2 and flashbacks of one of the main character who was formaly a member of the sureté shows him wearing the real life uniform.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby dcfowler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:01 am

Yes,but what I am referring to are the behind the scenes documentaries that accompany the DVD set that feature actual Montreal constables. I am not referring to the fictional characters on the show.

Dave
dcfowler
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby marcpasquin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:01 pm

dcfowler wrote:Yes,but what I am referring to are the behind the scenes documentaries that accompany the DVD set that feature actual Montreal constables. I am not referring to the fictional characters on the show.

Dave

Oh I know, I just thought it was something interesting to add. I was actually a bit puzzled about the fact that despite so much support from the SPVM and highly positive comments made by some police personnel after the series aired that they felt the need to go with a fictional police service name. As far as I know it's not a legal thing since the SQ was mentioned and shown and that other shows used the actual name of the service.

To go back to the slides, I have noticed that the "médias" slide worn by itself by some other services is by a constable. I would assume they words were moved up due to having an higher rank

Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby dcfowler » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:18 am

An English version of 19-2, with mostly different actors is supposed to premiere on the Canadian Bravo channel in early 2014.

They appear to be using the fictional patches from the French version.

http://www.craveonline.com/tv/articles/ ... nuary-29th

I think they're just generic, rather than fictional. For years, TV shows and movies set in Los Angeles couldn't use LAPD-style badges due to copyright issues. They allow their use now, but have to make some changes in the lettering, much like they do on 19-2.

Dave
dcfowler
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AMERICA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA