It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:53 pm
Change font size

AMERICA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

General Quebec law-enforcement comments

Police, Security

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

General Quebec law-enforcement comments

Unread postby marcpasquin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:19 pm

As might have been mentioned before, the rank insignias of the municipal polices in quebec have become standardized in the past few years. looking at a picture of a group of police officers today, I relized just how much the same could be said about the uniform. in the link below, you can see 4 officers from 3 completely distinct services: Montreal, Longueuil and the last 2 from Laval.

What's interesting to me is that currently the only real difference is the upper arm patch which can be literally anything. In former time (late 70s early 80s) the government attempted to impose a single design to all municipal forces in an effort to help in recognition so that you ended up with the so-called BNQ patch (french initial of the Quebec Standards Bureau) which looked like these few example:

Eventually the government appear to have allowed local forces to modify the design so that you went from this

to this

and eventually this:

So I wonder if this is a case of nearly completely standardising 2 areas (uniforms, rank insignias) while giving lee-way with corporate identity or might these last symbols be the next thing to go ?
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: General Quebec law-enforcement comments

Unread postby Luke2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:56 pm

As I suspected there is a provincial uniform regulation for the municipal police in Québec: Règlement sur les uniformes des corps de police municipaux. I suppose that is the basis for the standardization, although my French is not good enough to make a judgement about the level of details in that regulation.

http://www.securitepublique.gouv.qc.ca/ ... ipaux.html
Luke2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: General Quebec law-enforcement comments

Unread postby marcpasquin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:26 am

Luke2 wrote:As I suspected there is a provincial uniform regulation for the municipal police in Québec: Règlement sur les uniformes des corps de police municipaux. I suppose that is the basis for the standardization, although my French is not good enough to make a judgement about the level of details in that regulation.

http://www.securitepublique.gouv.qc.ca/ ... ipaux.html

Thanks but that's the standards that were adopted in 1981 as mentioned near the end of the document and the department patches are the ones I linked to above. As police departments are now seemingly free to adopt their own emblems, there must have been subsequent guidelines that were pased.

I think the date at the top is when it was added to the database or could mean it was readopted without bothering to remove passages that no one really follow any longer (the text does say that the director can apply to the commission to obtain permission to use other equipment).
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AMERICA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA