It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:10 pm
Change font size

FICTIVE RANK INSIGNIA

Something got inspired by new Macross Frontier Series:

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Something got inspired by new Macross Frontier Series:

Unread postby lordziba » Fri May 23, 2008 6:51 am

Hi, recently new Macross series started airing in Japan, called Macross Frontier. One aspect fascinates me though, it is their security forces. Of course it is an anime, therefore a lot of stuff going to be hyperbolic, nevertheless, for some odd reason, the regular armed forces are inept, so instead a corporation is in partial charge of the security of the Frontier. Interesting to point out that they got own equipment and vehicles, including different from Air Force/Spacy Valkyrie fighter-bombers -- VF-25th's. I was wondering if there in history was like that, where not army but rather para-military/civil units were successful, or that concept is a pure fantasy!

Here is a picture of unrelated, but inspired by MF Hypothetical Corporation, the security devision:
http://a246.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/im ... 1c50f5.jpg

Zibster smilies-03 smilies-01 smilies-02 !
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Fri May 23, 2008 5:22 pm

I like the illustrations except for the alternating silver/gold like the French ... it gets confusing and if anything the lower ranks should be all silver while the upper ranks use all gold.

As for historical examples; the Canadians had alot of trouble with the Indians/Native Americans up in the Northwest Territories in the 1870s and 1880s and the militia forces sent up against them were often defeated so they sent in the paramilitary Northwest Mounted Police (now known as the RCMP) who more often then not were able to solve problems in a peaceful manner without bloodshed. Other then that I cant really think of anything; its usually the other way around with conventional military forces saving the day smilies-05
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Nila MadhaVa » Sat May 24, 2008 5:41 am

maybe have a look at the situation in iraq / else where with foreighn contractors providing security etc. I know that it isnt exactly like the situation u described but thats all i can really think of
We cannot choose the hour of our death. But we can choose what to do with the time we are given.
Nila MadhaVa
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby lordziba » Tue May 27, 2008 6:10 pm

I got yet another version, but need help with the ranks. Caveat: it is a security private agency which has ground and aerospace branches (aerospace divided into capital and small craft crews + techs). Note if not at concrete assignment, high ranking personnel tend not to wear military style uniforms at all:

http://a619.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/im ... 2b9ba2.jpg

Thanx for ur future input and help smilies-01 !

Zibster!
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Unread postby lordziba » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:29 am

This is a third version, fully colored and tagged:
http://a389.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/im ... 158f0c.jpg

Zibster, 1st. Regiment, Tikonov Union Guards smilies-01 !
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Unread postby lordziba » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:53 am

This is something new, at least from the previous idea, UN Macross Foreign Legion. The idea that not every colony fleets can afford to have merch companies to defend them. This is an organization specifically set up to protect poorer colonies as a second line fighting unit. The name hence the idea that former Zentran and Meltran military could join in. From ordinary human side, usually military retirees, threw outs, and just plain mercenary folk. However, since the Legion was created by the Executive order, the core of command staff are designated officers. Also, since the Legion designed to act in spared out formation, there few Flag officer ranks, foremost part command allocated in hand of Commandant Major. The higher ranks show up in terms of re-enforcements from the base world, Eden. Furthermore, even though the Legion set up as a second line of defense (which often not the case), the equipment various from the planet to planet (colonial fleet). Note from the base-world often
appeared new experimental weapons and craft:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... bace20.jpg

Zibster smilies-01 !
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Unread postby lordziba » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi, I would like to revise my previous posting. Once, I was watching the animated feature from the Riddick Chronicles -- Dark Fury. There, at the feature, showed a group of merc’s fighting (and loosing badly to) Riddick. What was interesting, sort of implied concept of command within the group. The idea that there is a two tier organization: one being of privateers, the other -- commanders. I kind of thought about it and came out with Interservice Defense Company. The company is a dedicated mercenary outfit where armed conflicts and big scale bounties are main source of income.
The top of the structure is a board of directors with identical powers where decisions made on a simple majority vote. However, since its paramilitary organization, one of the directors is a head of the armed wing. The armed wing divided in a theater zones of operations with different concentration of troops from size of a squad on a bounty mission to a large scale division with a lucrative government contract.
Unlike regular military, the merc’s of the IDC, do not have regular military ranks, but rather an experience grades. From Privateer Basic to Elite, those are rather advances of pay and skill. The Department of Human Resources and Advancements making a decision according of battle record and skill advances if individual qualified for appointing to be a Point Leader. Point Leader correspond to duties as those of the sergeants in the regular military and directly answerable to the commanders.
Especially separate should be a none-combat rank of Privateer Liaison. This is only position that not appointed by the company. This grade is elected among group of privateers as their spokesman to a higher command. Also, Privateer Liaison serves as a drill instructor/mentor for the Probationaries. In some instances, they could assigned as an “adjutant” to a commander in a large scale of combat operations in order to ease the coordination between two tiers.
In the institute of commanders serve mostly people with some officer military experience. For instance if Point Leader could be grown within the grades, commanders already should finished outside the IDC some sort of officer school. Only position of Troop Commander gives an ability grow eventually to Operations Commander. In the company usually officers/commanders are not frontline commanders, but rather coordinators who give various tasks to the Point Leaders. Only in a large scale battles, the commanders present directly on the battlefield. I might add there no such thing in the mercenary world as “inspiration of the troops by personal example,” that consider if not foolish to a complete obstruction. Many privateers feel that they do not need an inspiration, since this is yet another job which should be done professionally.
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... c72159.jpg

Thank you, Zibster. smilies-02 smilies-04 !
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to FICTIVE RANK INSIGNIA