It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:51 am
Change font size

AMERICA - OTHER & CIVIL ORGANIZATION BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

US Coast & Geodetic Survey Insignia WWII

Civil organizations, Other organizations

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

US Coast & Geodetic Survey Insignia WWII

Unread postby Robb Mavins » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:05 am

This service is the forerunner to what is today called the NOAA Corps (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Corps)

Robb Mavins, MBA,
former Navy, Navigator, Clearance Diver
My interests are any Navy, Marine or Auxiliary Sea Service rank insignia or history.
Slightly anal retentive but at least I have a sense of humour about it
Robb Mavins
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Re: US Coast & Geodetic Survey Insignia WWII

Unread postby hhbooker2 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:26 pm

Robb Mavins wrote:This service is the forerunner to what is today called the NOAA Corps (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Corps)

ROBB: There was an additonal supplement to the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE in 1944 showing USC&GS Vice Admiral with three stars if I recall correctly? See "CROW'S NEST" newsletter, two volume set of bound newsletters held by the Naval Historical Center's Library or the A.S.M.I.C. Library. I authored it and drew hundreds of illustration of foreign and U.S. sea service insignia. Stephen Decatur Rohde has the master copies - I gave my set away to a collector who said he needed them more than I did, what could I say or do? I might have some actual insignia in an old box somewhere that I don't need? Sarge Booker :)
hhbooker2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby dcfowler1 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:15 am

hhbooker2 wrote:ROBB: There was an additonal supplement to the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE in 1944 showing USC&GS Vice Admiral with three stars if I recall correctly? See "CROW'S NEST" newsletter, two volume set of bound newsletters held by the Naval Historical Center's Library or the A.S.M.I.C. Library. I authored it and drew hundreds of illustration of foreign and U.S. sea service insignia. Stephen Decatur Rohde has the master copies - I gave my set away to a collector who said he needed them more than I did, what could I say or do? I might have some actual insignia in an old box somewhere that I don't need? Sarge Booker :)

The NOAA rank of vice admiral is on the books, but has been used only once, by VADM Arnold Karo. It's reserved for NOAA officers serving as associate administrator of NOAA.

Dave
dcfowler1
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby hhbooker2 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:49 pm

dcfowler1 wrote:
hhbooker2 wrote:ROBB: There was an additonal supplement to the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE in 1944 showing USC&GS Vice Admiral with three stars if I recall correctly? See "CROW'S NEST" newsletter, two volume set of bound newsletters held by the Naval Historical Center's Library or the A.S.M.I.C. Library. I authored it and drew hundreds of illustration of foreign and U.S. sea service insignia. Stephen Decatur Rohde has the master copies - I gave my set away to a collector who said he needed them more than I did, what could I say or do? I might have some actual insignia in an old box somewhere that I don't need? Sarge Booker :)

The NOAA rank of vice admiral is on the books, but has been used only once, by VADM Arnold Karo. It's reserved for NOAA officers serving as associate administrator of NOAA.

Dave

DAVE: Thank you! Next question is, I've never met anyone who collects USC&GS/NOAA or USPHS uniforms, insignia, or their uniform regulations, curious why the seeming lack of interest, could it be they are not thought of like the air force, army, coast guard, marine corps, or navy? I've had to figure out ways to find people who are serious collectors of such branches in order to donate things related to them. Have been shipping books on these to the NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER for their library as they also accept books on the sea services as well as those about the coast guard and navy. One can contribute to other collectors, but cannot know if they reallywant insignia or a book not related to their special interest, i.e., cigarette-lighter insignia, squadron patches, elite forces patches, wings, etc.? I do not know of even a tiny group of collectors who collect USC&GS/NOAA and USPHS insignia or regs? Do you, know anyone, Dave? Sarge Booker :?: :?: :?:
hhbooker2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby dcfowler1 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:30 am

hhbooker2 wrote:DAVE: Thank you! Next question is, I've never met anyone who collects USC&GS/NOAA or USPHS uniforms, insignia, or their uniform regulations, curious why the seeming lack of interest, could it be they are not thought of like the air force, army, coast guard, marine corps, or navy? I've had to figure out ways to find people who are serious collectors of such branches in order to donate things related to them. Have been shipping books on these to the NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER for their library as they also accept books on the sea services as well as those about the coast guard and navy. One can contribute to other collectors, but cannot know if they reallywant insignia or a book not related to their special interest, i.e., cigarette-lighter insignia, squadron patches, elite forces patches, wings, etc.? I do not know of even a tiny group of collectors who collect USC&GS/NOAA and USPHS insignia or regs? Do you, know anyone, Dave? Sarge Booker :?: :?: :?:

If you ask people to name the US services, 99% of them will have never heard of the NOAA Corps or USPHS.

I have a rather holistic approach to my inisgnia collecting, and am near completing a collection of current rank inisgnia from all seven services (still need Master Chief of the Navy & of the Coast Guard!). I have all the PHS officer epaulets, O-1 to O-10, and all NOAA epaulets except O-7 and O-9.

I'm interested in historical insignia from these services, but I never come across it on ebay or elsewhere.

Dave
dcfowler1
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby hhbooker2 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:43 am

dcfowler1 wrote:
hhbooker2 wrote:DAVE: Thank you! Next question is, I've never met anyone who collects USC&GS/NOAA or USPHS uniforms, insignia, or their uniform regulations, curious why the seeming lack of interest, could it be they are not thought of like the air force, army, coast guard, marine corps, or navy? I've had to figure out ways to find people who are serious collectors of such branches in order to donate things related to them. Have been shipping books on these to the NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER for their library as they also accept books on the sea services as well as those about the coast guard and navy. One can contribute to other collectors, but cannot know if they reallywant insignia or a book not related to their special interest, i.e., cigarette-lighter insignia, squadron patches, elite forces patches, wings, etc.? I do not know of even a tiny group of collectors who collect USC&GS/NOAA and USPHS insignia or regs? Do you, know anyone, Dave? Sarge Booker :?: :?: :?:

If you ask people to name the US services, 99% of them will have never heard of the NOAA Corps or USPHS.

I have a rather holistic approach to my inisgnia collecting, and am near completing a collection of current rank inisgnia from all seven services (still need Master Chief of the Navy & of the Coast Guard!). I have all the PHS officer epaulets, O-1 to O-10, and all NOAA epaulets except O-7 and O-9.

I'm interested in historical insignia from these services, but I never come across it on ebay or elsewhere.

Dave

DAVE: John C. Helvey has Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy rating badges on navy blue wool. Also check with H.J. Saunders too! Have seen NOAA O-8 and O-9 rank marks (shoulder boards) as well as same in slip on ranks and of course, WW2 USC&GS RADM and VADM rank marks too! John A. Stacey and CWO-4 Lester B. Tucker might also know even though they collect petty officer rates of the U.S. Navy. Sarge Booker :)
hhbooker2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby dcfowler1 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:32 am

hhbooker2 wrote:DAVE: John C. Helvey has Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy rating badges on navy blue wool. Also check with H.J. Saunders too! Have seen NOAA O-8 and O-9 rank marks (shoulder boards) as well as same in slip on ranks and of course, WW2 USC&GS RADM and VADM rank marks too! John A. Stacey and CWO-4 Lester B. Tucker might also know even though they collect petty officer rates of the U.S. Navy. Sarge Booker :)

Sarge, except for Saunder, I need contact info for these folks.

thanks,

Dave
dcfowler1
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby hhbooker2 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:46 am

dcfowler1 wrote:
hhbooker2 wrote:DAVE: John C. Helvey has Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy rating badges on navy blue wool. Also check with H.J. Saunders too! Have seen NOAA O-8 and O-9 rank marks (shoulder boards) as well as same in slip on ranks and of course, WW2 USC&GS RADM and VADM rank marks too! John A. Stacey and CWO-4 Lester B. Tucker might also know even though they collect petty officer rates of the U.S. Navy. Sarge Booker :)

Sarge, except for Saunder, I need contact info for these folks.

thanks,

Dave

John C. Helvey is in Lee's Summit, Missouri - John A. Stacey is in Nanjemoy, Maryland - CWO-4 Lester B. Tucker is in Oak Harbor, Washington State. Helvey sells on eBay Auctions, only one with an email address. Tucker and Stacey as listed by street address, not sure if I can list the street addresses here, but they are available in www.yahoo.com people search. Their telephone numbers are also listed. Sarge Booker :)
hhbooker2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AMERICA - OTHER & CIVIL ORGANIZATION BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA