It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 am
Change font size

AMERICA - BORDER & CUSTOMS BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA)

Customs Service, Border Protection

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA)

Unread postby jrichardn2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:14 pm

The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA; French name Administration canadienne de la sûreté du transport aérien, ACSTA) is similar to the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, except that CATSA's screening officers (sic) are in fact employees of contractors, not sworn officers of the state.

As a frequent traveller I am bemused by their rank insignia. The attached picture shows almost the only insigne you ever see: a 3-bar chevron, point down, with CATSA's shield in the crotch of the chevron. I.e., they look like a classic staff or senior sergeant's badge of rank, but with no Crown.

I decided to address my bemusement to CATSA itself. Following is my e-mail dialogue with them:

Me: What do the markings on CATSA officers' shoulder slides mean? There seem to be many "sergeants' (3 chevrons), and senior staff with coloured lines. Thanks!

CATSA: When a screening officer is certified through the Screening Officer Foundations program, they are identified by the three chevronned shoulder board marking. Screening officers who are not yet certified and remain in training do not wear any shoulder boards.

Me: What about the folks who seem like supervisors, with stripes (white or red, I think) on their shoulder boards?

CATSA: there are Team Leaders who work in our Central regions (which would include the Ottawa International Airport, the Toronto International Airport etc) who wear different single striped shoulderboars provided by our service Contractor for that region, Garda. These screening officers have a slight supervisory-type role in addition to performing to CATSA screening functions.
Attachments
CATSA officer.jpg
CATSA officer.jpg (8.35 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Re: Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA)

Unread postby fortsmithman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:13 am

CATSA screener are not federal employee. They are employed by a private security company.
fortsmithman
VISITOR
VISITOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AMERICA - BORDER & CUSTOMS BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA