It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:09 am
Change font size

AFRICA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Durban City Police (South Africa)

Police, Security

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Durban City Police (South Africa)

Unread postby kenneth » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:24 am

The following is the rank structure of the Durban City Police during the years from 1854 and up to July 2000.

1-Chief Constable (One Royal Crown and three Pips-on shoulders)
2-Deputy Chief Constable (One Royal Crown and two Pips-on shoulders)
3-Chief Inspector (One Royal Crown-on shoulders)
4-Inspector (Three Pips-on shoulders)
5-Sergeant [apex down] (Three Stripes and Murail Crown-on upper arm)
6-Constable (No insignia)

(Sorry I tried to download the Pics but have failed)

The Royal Crown used is the same crown as used by the British Royal family during that period.
The Murial Crown used by the Sgt. is a Crown used to depict a City or a Town in Colonial Britain

Ken
All in love and War
kenneth
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:07 pm

Im assuming that in July 2000, it was merged into the South African National Police?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby kenneth » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:35 pm

No, the DCP was on the 1st July amalgamated with other local authorities surrounding the erstwhile DCP council area, to become the new Durban Metropolitan Police Service. With it came a whole new rank structure namely:-
1-Chief of Police (Two crossed swords, two domes each surrounded by a laural wreath-on shoulders)
2-Deputy Chief of Police (Two crossed swords, one dome surrounded by a laural wreath-on shoulders)
3-Senior Superintendent or [Regional Commander] (one dome surrounded by a laural wreath and two six pointed stars-on shoulders)
4-Superintendent (one dome surrounded by a laural wreath and one six pointed star-on shoulders)
5-Inspector (Three six pointed stars -on shoulders)
6-Sergeant [apex down] (Three Stripes and one dome -on upper arm)
7-Constable (No insignia).

This structure was used between July 2000 till now. However we will soon be looking at a UniCity environment soon where the structure will change again. This structure will be very similar to that as used by all the Metro Police agencies throughout the country, and is similar to the traditional South African Police Servics (SAPS) up until the Provincial level.
Once this structure is realised I will submit it.
Ken
All in love and War
kenneth
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:57 pm

Thanks Ken, havent been able to find much US police stuff recently (hence my inactivity lol).
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Durban Police

Unread postby Herrwiggly » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:24 am

Hi Kenneth, I 've found your post I mentioned earlier. During the britiish crown time what was the colour of the uniform, khaki? and can you give me an idea of what the mmurail crown looks like? I can make a chart of the former ranks using the royal crown of the times, not the sergeants rank without the murail crown. What were the colour of the sgts.'s stripes.
As to the modern insignia, I have no idea how to depict the dome. Any help you can give would be appreciated. cheers. :D :D :D
Herrwiggly
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AFRICA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA