It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Change font size

AFRICA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Lesotho Mounted Police Service

Police, Security

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Lesotho Mounted Police Service

Unread postby sketor7558 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:41 am

sketor7558
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby kenneth » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:41 am

It is amazing that this structure is so alike the British police system. Considering that most of Africa wants the colonial past to be scraped
Ken
All in love and War
kenneth
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:32 pm

kenneth wrote:It is amazing that this structure is so alike the British police system. Considering that most of Africa wants the colonial past to be scraped
Ken

They want to leave the past behind them? Dident they see that UN report that admitted that Africa was better off under colonialism and that independance was granted to early and as a result many systems that would have improved hospitals, schools, transportation, etc did not take place.

Anyways is the RLSMP a paramilitary force or are they like regular police?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby kenneth » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:15 am

They are a paramilitary force also doing regular police work. It would appear that most, if not all the Police Forces/Services are paramilitary in Africa. They need to have the muscle to be able to do their work. In some instances, or mostly, they have to deal with disident military/rebel/war lords, so they have to have the paramilitary status.
Ken
All in love and War
kenneth
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby sketor7558 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:41 pm

sketor7558
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby jrichardn » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:00 am

Ken wrote:

kenneth wrote:They are a paramilitary force also doing regular police work. It would appear that most, if not all the Police Forces/Services are paramilitary in Africa. They need to have the muscle to be able to do their work. In some instances, or mostly, they have to deal with disident military/rebel/war lords, so they have to have the paramilitary status.

Police forces in the British empire roughly fall into two models: the Metropolitan Police - i.e., urban police - and the Royal Irish Constabulary - i.e., more military. The North-West Mounted Police, for instance, started as a military formation and became in due course the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, who are far from paramilitary today. The Australian state police forces are similar.

My point is just that British imperial forces often covered large territories and had what we'd call today a military or paramilitary character. Many of these forces have become just large "ordinary" police forces - even in Africa (e.g., the Botswana police).

Cheers, Richard Nelson
Toronto
jrichardn
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby kenneth » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:43 pm

My point is just that British imperial forces often covered large territories and had what we'd call today a military or paramilitary character. Many of these forces have become just large "ordinary" police forces - even in Africa (e.g., the Botswana police).

Richard, you are correct, in fact most of the large police forces/services in Sourth Africa have still retained their paramilitary status. I am in the Durban Metropolitan Police Service which was established in 2000 and we still are based on the grounds of a paramilitary force.
All in love and War
kenneth
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:33 pm

kenneth wrote:

Richard, you are correct, in fact most of the large police forces/services in Sourth Africa have still retained their paramilitary status. I am in the Durban Metropolitan Police Service which was established in 2000 and we still are based on the grounds of a paramilitary force.

Understandable given that South Africa has one of the highest # of line of duty deaths among law enforcement officers in the world. Dont SA cops have to wear flack jackets and rifles in some parts?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to AFRICA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA