It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:47 pm
Change font size

ASIA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Brunei

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Brunei

Unread postby armyboy » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:40 pm

Why would Brunei change there insignia to include 3, 4 ,and 5-star ranks? They clearly do not need them as they could never have units that large. :?:

Ryan
armyboy

Unread postby ChrisWI » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:16 pm

good question, I really dont have an answer - but heres a good idea of why i think they have 3, 4 and 5 star ranks; Brunei is a very rich country. It has a small military which includes a battalion of Gurkha mercinaries,as I said before Brunei is very wealthy so if Indonesia invades again they can hire mercinaries and form them into units which would need a higher rank to run the military to free up lower ranks to run these units, in other words i think those may be wartime only ranks, like with our (US) General of the Army rank.

Chris
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

interesting

Unread postby armyboy » Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:56 am

Thats a good theory. I think they have those ranks for sort of honorary purposes like awarding them to royal family members, very little command follows the rank. Maybe if the Sultan had made his borther a field marshal he wouldn't have blown so much money, their furtune has dropped from $30 billion to like $10 billion.

Ryan
armyboy

Why Generals?

Unread postby Erwin » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:38 am

Well actually in the RBAF the Sultan himself holds a 5-star Field Marshal rank, while the next highest rank in their armed forces is a Major General.

Both the Lieutenant General & General does not exist in the RBAF, as you guys know as one of the richest guy on Earth no one would say anything when the Sultan decides to put on a 5-star epaulette.

So the CDF holds a Major General rank, the Royal Brunei Navy Commander holds a Commodore rank, while the Royal Brunei Air Force Commander holds a Brigadier General rank.

By the way there's a slight mistake in the illustration shown here, I do have an exact picture of what the "Crown" on the epaulette looks like, but I don't have a scanner :cry: . However I'll try to bug some of my friends to lend me their scanner :wink: , wish me luck.
Erwin
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Re: Brunei

Unread postby Martin Mennega » Tue May 29, 2012 5:40 am

Who dares wins
Martin Mennega
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Re: Brunei

Unread postby Caim_Dubh » Tue May 29, 2012 10:30 am

I have no special insight into Brunei's politics, but my guess is that they have senior general ranks because other countries do--it's a matter of prestige. They can't have their sultan rubbing elbows with other countries' monarchs if he's only a two- or three-star. It would be unseemly.
SFC, USA
BAMFETS
Caim_Dubh
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to ASIA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA