It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:27 pm
Change font size

ASIA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

The Ranks of General and Admiral Missing on Myanmar Pages

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Unread postby zomithupha » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:36 pm

When I went to Myanmar Army page (http://www.uniforminsignia.org/index.php?p=show&id=159&sid=257), I found out that the rank of General is missing. There is the rank of Lieutenant General and the next rank jumps to that of Vice Senior General, skipping the rank of General.

The rank of General should be shown there.

When I went to Myanmar Navy page (http://www.uniforminsignia.org/index.php?p=show&id=159&sid=1322), the rank of Admiral is missing. There is the rank of Vice Admiral and the next rank jumps to that of Vice Senior Admiral, skipping the rank of Admiral.

The rank of Admiral should be shown there.

On Myanmar Air Force page (http://www.uniforminsignia.org/index.php?p=show&id=159&sid=256), There is the rank of Lieutenant General and the next ranks jumps to that of Vice Senior General, skipping the rank of General.

The rank of General should be shown there.

There are only three persons holding each rank of General, Vice Senior General and Senior General, all in the Army. They are General Thura Shwe Mann (Army), Vice Senior General Maung Aye (Army) and Senior General Than Shwe.

All the other top officers in the Army hold only the rank of Lieutenant General and lower.

The Navy and has only one person each holding the rank of Vice Admiral. He is Vice Admiral Soe Thein (Navy).

All the other top officers of the Navy hold only the rank of Rear Admiral and below.

The Air Force has only one person holding the rank of Lieutenant General. He is Lieutenant General Myat Hein (Air Force).

All the other top officers of the Air Force hold the rank of Major General and below.
zomithupha
VISITOR
VISITOR

With Burma in the news

Unread postby ryanemilia » Fri May 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Sad that the regime there is holding up the aid. Anyway here is the corrected ranks for Burmese officers.

ryanemilia
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Re: With Burma in the news

Unread postby Erskine Calderon » Fri May 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Those are junta-riffic!
Erskine Calderon
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Nila MadhaVa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:34 am

does anyone know the literal translations of the burmese ranks...i know that most east asian countries are heavily influenced by the chinese rank system and the burmese lower and middle officer ranks certainly seem to me to be pronunciation variants of the chinese, but the general ranks look very different

i know a couple of the guys on here have given translations for the chinese and japanese ranks so im hoping you can help out this time too
We cannot choose the hour of our death. But we can choose what to do with the time we are given.
Nila MadhaVa
VISITOR
VISITOR

Republic of the Union of Myanmar

Unread postby DarthGaddafi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:18 am

I decided to update the Burmese/Myanmar ranks. They also have gold dress shoulder boards for the generals. I haven't seen gold for field grade or company grade officers. So I'll attempt the gold ones
soon.

The large "star device" is difficult to get a good image of but I think I have captured the essence here as well as I can.

The navy now uses black shoulder boards.
Attachments
ArmyChart.jpg
Ranks of Myanmar
DarthGaddafi
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Re: The Ranks of General and Admiral Missing on Myanmar Page

Unread postby achernachern » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:59 am

If you need a better image of the Burmese ranks I might be able to help from my archive. From what I've seen the "three star" rank has the stars all the same size, and arrange not in a triangle but in a straight line.
achernachern
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby achernachern » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:01 am

Sorry, my error. I forgot all about the Vice Senior General rank which uses the large star above two smaller ones. I have a photo showing the top three ranks standing next to each other.
achernachern
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby DarthGaddafi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:09 am

I have some very good pics which I can add here, but that is still the best I have to offer at the moment on the large star device both within the wreath and alone.
Attachments
2383152887.jpg
Navy Capts
1974480.jpg
Admiral
610x.jpg
SGen and VSGen
42-18118298.jpg
Snr.Gen.
DarthGaddafi
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT