It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:09 am
Change font size

ASIA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Chinese Police Rank Insignia--Some Pics of them "in use

Police, Security

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Chinese Police Rank Insignia--Some Pics of them "in use

Unread postby Frank Soon » Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:59 pm

Hello, everybody:
I'm a militaria collector from China, I happened to find this website a couple of days ago, It's excellent! especially the artworks! but I found that there's something not quite right about the Chinese Police 1992 collar tabs and 1995 shoulder boards which I have a special interest in. I'd like to post some pics of some of my collections, I hope they could be helpful if you want to improve the artworks.

The Chinese police 92 collar tabs used from 1992-1995 were the 1st version of police rank insignia and were the best design ever in China (in my opinion), because it was the 1st and the only time that we dropped the old pattern of "strip & star" in rank insignia designing.

There are 4 departments in the Chinese Police: 1, public security 2,national security(anti-espionage),3,prison guards 4,court police. Each department(except the public security) had its own distinctive color shown on the borders of the collar tabs. And, the collar tabs worn by the technical personel were white, the collar tabs worn by the rest of the policemen were dark green.

So,there were 8 different kinds of collar tabs

1,public security (dark green, no border) --->5,Its technical personel(white, no border)
2,national security (dark green, blue border) --->6,Its technical personel(white, blue border)
3,prison guards (dark green, red border) --->7,Its technical personel(white, red border)
4,court police (dark green, yellow border) --->8,Its technical personel(white, yellow border)

And, each kind of the collar tabs mentioned above had 3 versions: 1, "hard" collar tabs for winter uniform(with aluminium insignia on); 2, "soft" collar tabs for summer uniform(embroidered insignia on velvet)(earlier version);3,"soft' collar tabs for summer uniform(later version).

Pictures
1,collar tabs for winter uniforms

The 1st row(left to right):
public security(technical):superintendent 3rd class; superintendent 2nd class(2);superintendent 1st class

The 2nd row(left to right):
public security:constable 2nd class(2); supervisor 3rd class; police cadet.

The 3rd row(left to right):
prison guards: cadet; superintendent 1st class; superintendent 3rd class(technical);supervisor 2nd class(techinical)

2,Close-up picture1 Note the aluminium triangle insignias are not flat as they are illustrated in the artworks. the resolution of the picture is not so good, I'll try to take a better picture and post it later.

cadet(public security); cadet(prison guards)
superintendent 1st class(prison guards); superintendent 1st class(public security-techinical)

3,Close-up picture2

cadet(public security); constable 2nd class(public security)

Because of my poor English, I'm sure that there must be something confusing in this post, sorry.:-)
------------To be continued
Last edited by Frank Soon on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Chinese Police rank insignia

Unread postby Pavel Močoch » Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:50 pm

I thank for all information ! I correct illustration on our page after information from you. I am much obliged and hope so cooperation will next time
Pavel Močoch
OWNER
OWNER

Unread postby Frank Soon » Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:03 pm

Just edited the post to change the links to another album which is more stable.
By the way, I didn't expect that I'm a "captain" now, :-) I only posted 1 article. In our Chinese forum, I had to begin at "private". I love the "railroad track"! hope I can stay in this rank. never get promoted. :-)
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Frank Soon » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:42 pm

Left: superintendent 1st class(national scurity)-----blue border
Right: superintendent 2nd class(court police)---------yellow border

superintendent 2nd class(public security)---no border
Note the triangle insignia, you can correct the images on the website according to this picture.

This is a high-level officer---commissioner 3rd class(public security-technical)---white,no border
Note the 8-angle insignia which indicates the level of commissioner.

Commissioner 3rd class(national security)---blue border
Note the two small buttons on the right of the collar tabs. they are for fixing the collar tabs on the collars, there are 2 buttons on the back of each collar tab, the two shown in the pic are reserves.:-)

------------To be continued
Last edited by Frank Soon on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Pavel Močoch » Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:37 pm

I thank for information, please verification illustration if is in order on page China People´s Police.
Pavel Močoch
OWNER
OWNER

Unread postby Frank Soon » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:50 pm

You've corrected the images. I'm impressed by your work efficiency and the artist.
The order of the rank titles is completely right.

But there are some other problems.

1,The arrow insignias for constables should be a little bit longer. and, unlike the triangle, 4-angle,8-angle insignias, they have no "borders". Acctually, the former images of the arrows were right. shouldn't have changed them.

2,The chinese titles for the ranks: take 警员二级 for example, 警员 means constable, 二级 means 2nd class, the characters are right, but in Chinsese, we say 二级警员(2nd class constable), just the reverse. So are all the other rank titles with XXX class.(cadet, vice commissioner general and commissioner general are right)

*The highest rank for prison guards and court police and technical personel in all the 4 departments is Commissioner 1st class.
Only Public Security and National Security(non-technical personel) go all the way to the top (Commissioner General).

Sorry, I forgot to log in and posted as a guest, please delete that post.
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Frank Soon » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:01 pm

Here comes the "soft" collar tabs for summer uniforms(shirts).

There were 2 versions: 1, earlier version(embroidered insignia on velet); 2, later version(embroidered insignia on the same material used in "hard collar tabs<---I don't know what it is called in English).

Pictures
8, Image

Left: Supervisor 2nd class(public security--technical))---earlier version
Right: Superintendent 3rd class(national security-technical)---later version

9, Image

Up: Vice Commissioner General(national security)---later version
Below: Commissioner General(national security)---earlier version

Note: 1,The olive branch-----you can correct the images on your webpage.
2,In the earlier version, the 8-angle insignia has sharper angles than the later version does.

*That's all I have to say about the 1992-1995 Police Rank Insignias.
Next time I'll look for mistakes on the 1995-2000 insignias, Am I picky? :-)
Last edited by Frank Soon on Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Pavel Močoch » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:36 pm

OK, I repaire illustration on web page
Pavel Močoch
OWNER
OWNER

Unread postby Frank Soon » Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:08 pm

Mistakes in 1995-2000 insignias

1, Cadet: In your image, it's a gold 4-angle insignia and a bar which never exsisted in reality. It should be a SILVER 4-angle insignia with NO bars.

2, The 4-angle insignias on all shoulder boards should be like the ones on the 1992 collar tabs.

3, The 1995 shoulder boards only distinguish technical personel from the rest of the policemen.
The difference is the color of the bars. technical personel---green; non-technical personel--gold.

* The 4 departments were distinguished by different sleeve patches

4, The chinese titles again. same as the post above.

Picture

Left to right: Cadet; Supervisor 3rd class(technical personel); Supervisor 2nd class; Supervisor 1st class; Superintendent 2nd class

* In my opinion, the 1995 design was completely a failure. The material, the "bar & star" pattern, the abolition of the color stripes.....nothing good about it.
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERY ZHONG GUO REN

Unread postby aquan » Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:13 am

I'm coming.
aquan
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Frank Soon » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:24 am

Found some pics of the type92 collar tabs in use. unfortunately they are small, 'Cause these were used 10 years ago, pics are very rare on the web now.

Image Image ImageImage

These men above all belong to Public Security (No border on their collar tabs). White uniforms were worn by the traffic cops.

Tao Siju, former minister of Public Security, Commissioner General.
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Al Jumhuriah Al Hind » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:51 am

how do u say probationary constable in chinese? also could anyone translate these police ranks literally?
Al Jumhuriah Al Hind
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Frank Soon » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:50 am

Probationary constable=Jian xi jing yuan="learning Police member"

Constable/Jing yuan=Police member

Superintendent/Jing si=Police administrator

Supervisor/Jing du=Police supervisor

Commissioner/Jing jian=Police supervisor, same as above literally.

Commissioner general/Zong jing jian=general police supervisor

Then combine them with the 1-3 class.
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Al Jumhuriah Al Hind » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:27 pm

thx.but in the armed police, are there areas, like public,national, or private(j/k about that one) security? also renmin jingcha would be better translated as the people's police i believe(renmin=people jingcha=police, but i think cha=tea but oh well)
Al Jumhuriah Al Hind
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Frank Soon » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:53 pm

The Armed Police also has branches, Border Guard, Fire Police...etc.
You are right about the "renmin jingcha" part.
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Al Jumhuriah Al Hind » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:32 am

well in the U.S.A., we have these government organizations u might call liangbang diaocha ju, and zhongyang qingbao ju. is there anything like that in china?
Al Jumhuriah Al Hind
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Frank Soon » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:40 am

I guess the Ministry of State Security and the PLA Intelligence Dept. are the counterparts of FBI and CIA.
Frank Soon
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Chinese police

Unread postby BillW41 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:56 am

Resurrecting an old subject, People's Republic of China has two police forces: 'Renmin Wuzuang Jingcha Budui', People's Armed Investigator Troops, colloquially known as "People's Armed Police Force" or "PAP" , an offshoot of the People's Liberation Army; and the Ministry of Public Security's 'Renmin Jingcha', People's Investigators, or "People's Civilian Police".
The first wear military green uniforms and carry military rank (from Basic Trooper up to Senior Commander ["General"]). Most are designated "Town Guard", in 6 grades.
The second wear dark grey uniforms, are unarmed, and have police-specific ranks and insignia (from Student through Patrolman, Quartermaster, Supervisor, Inspector [each with 2 or 3 grades] up to Principal Inspector ["Commissioner"]).
Retired banker turned motor mag writer. Published book 'Police Forces of the World' in 2006: histories, ranks, insignia of 220 police agencies in 67 countries.
BillW41
VISITOR
VISITOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to ASIA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA