It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:10 am
Change font size

OCEANIA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Royal Australian Navy

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Royal Australian Navy

Unread postby 875Lions » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:05 pm

In the RAN, there are two ranks, Acting Sub Lieutenant, and Sub Lieutenant, that have exactly the same insignia. How does one tell them apart?
Per Ardua Ad Astra
875Lions
VISITOR
VISITOR

Re: Royal Australian Navy

Unread postby Necrothesp » Thu May 06, 2004 12:24 am

875Lions wrote:In the RAN, there are two ranks, Acting Sub Lieutenant, and Sub Lieutenant, that have exactly the same insignia. How does one tell them apart?

Like the Royal Navy, I suspect one doesn't! The two ranks basically only exist because the navy is a rank short compared to the army and the air force. Midshipman used to be shown in rank tables as the equivalent to Second Lieutenant and Pilot Officer, but it's not really the same, since a midshipman isn't a fully commissioned officer.
Necrothesp
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby David_M » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:54 pm

A/Sblt does not have any difference in SRI/HRI.

It is to fill the gap, when a Midshipman comes out of ADFA they are granted the rank of Acting Sub Lieutenant until they are confirmed and completed training... or something like that.

By the time they are actually posted tehy have the full rank.
David_M
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby brucey » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:44 am

The rank of Acting Sub Lieutenant (ASLT) although it is on the charts and everything is rarely used in the RAN anyway. Even if the rank is used the Acting title is only administrative and the officer is treated and regarded as though they were a Sub Lieutenant anyway. Makes it somewhat pointless...

Most of the time, RAN Midshipmen are promoted directly to SBLT when they have completed University studies or any other requirements the Navy sets down. I think the same practice applies for Army and RAAF also.
brucey
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby wettok » Sun May 08, 2005 11:41 am

"since a midshipman isn't a fully commissioned officer."

Sorry "James". Midshipman IS commisioned.
Keith Wetton
Cadet Corporal
715 (City of Belmont) Squadron
706 (Ground Training) Flight
Australian Air Force Cadets
(Formerly Air Training Corps)

Think Civil Air Patrol
wettok
VISITOR
VISITOR

RN Commissioned Warrant Officer

Unread postby Lukasz Gaszewski » Sun May 08, 2005 3:01 pm

In the Royal Navy during WWII there existed the rank of Commissioned Warrant Officer, roughly corresponding to 2nd Lt. in the army and it must have existed in the RAN at that time too. It was denoted by a single lace on the cuffs, but narrower than that of Sub-Lieutenant. This rank was discontinued, I believe, in 1950s (please correct me if I'm wrong).

L.
Lukasz Gaszewski
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Luke » Mon May 09, 2005 5:20 pm

As early as 1886 (but probably earlier) chief warrant officers in the RN ranked as second lieutenants in the army. They had the same rank insignia as naval sub-lieutenants (one row of 1/2 inch lace) but with three buttons across the sleeve.

Source: Ottley Lake Perry, Rank and Badges, London 1888.
Luke

Unread postby jrichardn » Tue May 10, 2005 10:41 pm

In the Royal Canadian Navy, prior to the 1968 unification, Acting Sub-Lieutenant was equivalent to Second Lieutenant in the Army and Pilot Officer in the Air Force. Acting Sub-Lieutenant wore a quarter-inch cuff ring, as distinguished from a Sub-Lieutenant's half-inch. I believe, though I'm not certain, that this was what obtained in the Royal Navy as well during WWII.

The National Defence Act still has a table of equivalences between the pre- and post-1968 ranks.

Cheers, Richard Nelson
jrichardn
VISITOR
VISITOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to OCEANIA - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA