It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:52 am
Change font size

OCEANIA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Commander - New South Wales (NSW) Police Australia ??

Police, Security

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

Commander - New South Wales (NSW) Police Australia ??

Unread postby Robb Mavins » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:48 am

I am just curious, the rank and title of Commander seems to be used quite frequently in the NSW Police. According to the “rank table” there is no “Commander” in the NSW Police. (I understand the UK Metropolitan Police use of the Commander rank would place in above the Chief Superintendent)

According to the various annual reports, two “Commanders” were recently appointed Deputy Commissioners, there are at least 4 “Commanders” listed in the latest annual report as well as several Assistant Commissioners, the rank of Senior Assistant Commissioner is mentioned as being re-instated as of this last year. My assumption is that Commander and Assistant Commissioner were used interchangeably for a while ? If you look in the last annual report the 10 top officers include the Commissioner , 2 Deputy Commissioners, I civilian, and several Commanders.

As an aside - a while back, the New York NYPD decided to use Commander instead of Inspector, then went back to Inspector. They never changed the actual rank but did (in the press) refer to “Inspector” Johnson as “Commander” Johnson. They have since gone back to “Inspector” Johnson.

Anyone who knows about the New South Wales Police ???
Last edited by Robb Mavins on Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robb Mavins, MBA,
former Navy, Navigator, Clearance Diver
My interests are any Navy, Marine or Auxiliary Sea Service rank insignia or history.
Slightly anal retentive but at least I have a sense of humour about it
Robb Mavins
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby ChrisWI » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:15 pm

When was this whole with the NYPD and Inspector and Commander ranks?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Robb Mavins » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:05 pm

Hi Chris
Well ….I should have known that if I tried to sneak in a comment about the NYPD in under Australia, you would still find it … :wink: My own fault for going off-topic in my own post. So response is here http://forum.rankinsignia.info/viewtopi ... =3067#3067
Robb Mavins, MBA,
former Navy, Navigator, Clearance Diver
My interests are any Navy, Marine or Auxiliary Sea Service rank insignia or history.
Slightly anal retentive but at least I have a sense of humour about it
Robb Mavins
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby Bory » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:18 pm

As far as I know, Commander is not a rank, but a position They are usually in charge of a task force or operation in the Police Force.
Don't worry about the confusion, it got me too. I only this because my Uncle was an Inspector in Highway quite a few years ago.
Bory
VISITOR
VISITOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to OCEANIA - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA