It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:40 pm
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

shoulder slides

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

shoulder slides

Unread postby Guest » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:42 pm

What do slides worn over the shoulder straps signify?
I figure they camoflage rank but do they signify something else?

Shoulder slides

Unread postby Chuck Anderson » Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:56 pm

Dear Guest;
Chuck Anderson here!

I'll see if I can provide an answer to your question about shoulder slides.

Firstly, shoulder slides seem to be just another step in the uniform and rank insignia styles of various nations. Throughout history, uniforms and rank insignia seem to have evolved from a state of being colourful and ornate (where they could be spotted from a considerable distance away and picked-off as excellent moving targets), to a state of being of a much more subdued nature, more in keeping with the understated look of many of today's uniforms. With shoulder slides for all ranks, it's just a fairly simple matter to change (or if necessary to eliminate) one's rank insignia, without having to sew or pin things on in the field. Of course, there have been subdued insignia without shoulder slides for decades, and other nations have used shoulder slides (with or without subdued insignia) for quite awhile.

All in all, shoulder slides are just a method of showing rank on the shoulder straps of various uniforms, without having to pin or sew the insignia on. Shoulder slides therefore are just a style concern for the conditions to be met, and are not in themselves an indicator of rank. Of course, as with anything, there are probably exceptions to these shoulder slide examples I gave, and any exceptions would in themselves be something very interesting to learn about.

See ya'!!

Chuck Anderson
USAFWO1_1975@military.com
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Medals: 1
Sponzor < 150 EUR (1)
Location: University Place (Pierce County,State of Washington)

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA