It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 am
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

British Army insignia question

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

British Army insignia question

Unread postby ChrisWI » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:44 pm

In the British Army, do they have combat rank insignia or subdued color rank insignia?

Chris
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

British Army combat rank

Unread postby Herrwiggly » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:10 pm

Hi Chris, herrwiggly here. Yes the British army does wear black combat rank insignia, it is worn over the left side of the combatsuit fastened by a button. :D :D :D Cheers.
Herrwiggly
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby sketor7558 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:57 pm

I Have noticed something recently. The Generals camo rank insignia pips are a carryover from their regiments example General Sir Charles Guthrie former CDS has the guards "garter" pip in his rank badges and the incoming Chief of General Staff General Sir Mike Jackson in his camo rank badges with the cambridge blue piping of the parachute regiment.
The Royal Air Force their rank stripes are in camo shoulder staps. As in the Royal Navy their rank stipes are subdued in black over green breast straps. :D :D :D
sketor7558
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

British Camo rank

Unread postby armyboy » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:14 am

The British armed forces use both cloth shoulder straps and a smaller cloth band that is worn on the front of the BDU's or Gortex Jacket.

These are subdued in woodland or desert, but the sewn in insignia for the army and royal marines is still gold thread.

The Royal air force uses black and lt.blue stripes

the Royal navy uses black stripes and Admirals usually use gold stripes on theirs, but black can be worn if they should go into the field.

RYAN
armyboy
VISITOR
VISITOR

E-BAY HAS GOOD PICS

Unread postby armyboy » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:25 am

I know many British soldiers from serving with them and have many examples of their field rank. I don't have scanner though so I trying to figure a way for everyone to see my extensive Rank collection. I will most likely be heading to The Persian Gulf myself very soon as I am waiting to hear if my unit gets called. I hope I get to meet many Iraqi POWS and aquire their rank insignia. Anyway E-bay has some good pics of British cammo insignia, just type in "rank insignia".

RYAN--"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
armyboy
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:54 am

Youre in the military, goodboy, what unit? Well good luck and I support the war with Iraq as I dont want Saddam killing any more of his own people, by the hundreds of thousands.
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA