It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:18 pm
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

A defunct rank (sort of)

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

A defunct rank (sort of)

Unread postby Chuck Anderson » Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:27 pm

Hi Everyone!
Chuck Anderson here!

As you may know from perusing Pavel's website, when you go to the section for the British Royal Navy, you see the rank of Warrant Officer, (which is clearly an NCO rank.)
However, the Royal Navy in the 1960's I believe, had the rank of Warrant Officer, but it had the appearance of being in the commissioned ranks. The rank insignia for Warrant Officer then was a thin gold stripe with the loop, as the other Royal Navy officer ranks have, (I think it may have been perhaps a 1/4 inch stripe.)
I've often wondered if this particular Warrant Officer rank was an NCO rank like today's, or did it rate a salute like the rank of Warrant Officer in so many other countries.
Chuck Anderson

USAFWO1_1975@military.com
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Medals: 1
Sponzor < 150 EUR (1)
Location: University Place (Pierce County,State of Washington)

Unread postby sketor7558 » Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:59 pm

There was 2 ranks of Warrant Officer in the Royal Navy there was Warrant Officer which had an 1/4 inch stripe. And an Commissioned Warrant Officer which had the rank insignia the same as an Sub Lieutenant as they were saluted as Commissioned Officers. These were abolished in 1973 in favor of an "Fleet Chief Petty Officer" rank. The Warrant Officer rank was re-insituted in 1986. The Fleet Chief Petty Officer and the Warrant Officer are Both NCO ranks not as Warrant Officer in other Countries.
sketor7558
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA