It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:47 am
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Pope's Palatine Guard

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

Pope's Palatine Guard

Unread postby Ricky Faina » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Dear Friends,

I'd knoun if it's possible to You send me a complete plate on the rank insigna of Pope's Palatine Guard (Guardia Palatina), please. Thank You.
Ricky Faina
VISITOR
VISITOR

Re: Pope's Palatine Guard

Unread postby aardvark » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Looking at old photos it seems that corporals have 1 upward pointing chevron above the red cuff, sergeants , 2 chevrons.
Officers have 6 pointed stars on shoulder straps and epaulettes, not sure how many for each rank.
aardvark
VISITOR
VISITOR

Re: Pope's Palatine Guard

Unread postby marcpasquin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:51 pm

at least during the resurgiemento, I know that the zouaves and a few other units used french-type rank markings. That being said, while the modern day gendarmerie has adopted italian insignias (to help interaction with roman police), the swiss guard has continued to use its own distinct system which, as mentioned by aardvark, uses 6 pointed for officers and chevron for NCOs. based on an article I found in a magazine published by veterans of the organisation (disolved in 1970), this was exactly the type of insignias used by the Palatine Guard.

So based on this and some images I found and bearing in mind that the exact titles and distinctives changed over the years, the insignas of the Palatine Guard just before their disolution were *probably*:

comandante-colonnello = 3 stars on a gold scaly epaulette with large fringe
tenente-colonnello = 2 stars on a gold scaly epaulette with large fringe
maggiore = 1 star on a gold scaly epaulette with large fringe
capitano = 3 stars on a gold scaly epaulette with thin fringe
tenente = 2 stars on a gold scaly epaulette with thin fringe
sottotenente = 1 star on a gold scaly epaulette with thin fringe
sergente maggiore = 2 golden chevrons pointing up
sergente = 1 golden chevrons pointing up
caporale maggiore = 2 red chevrons pointing up
caporale = 1 red chevron pointing up
guardia = nil

Mind you, just to complicate matter, the article I mentioned also gave so indications that other distinction existed such as a golden stripe on the lapels for the Aiutante Maggiore and the Aiutante Sottufficiale wore a yellow / white plume so ranks and position could be a bit more complicated than this.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA