It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:22 am
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Estonian Army 1918-1919

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

Estonian Army 1918-1919

Unread postby Sitmar-orke » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:35 am

Hello Dmitry,

Your graphics are perfect again.

http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option=com_insigniasearch&Itemid=53&result=3767

Did you for "Estonian Army" footage?According to my records and documentation (1918-1940), this rank badges are not known.It is known that the Estonian army had until 1919 rank insignia of the old Russian army.In books, photos and the Internet only old russian shoulder pieces of the uniform field are shown.The shoulder pieces had at the lower edge the Estonian flag (blue, black, white).The officers of the rank badges the old five-pointed stars.

In my documentation is missing a period!December 1918 - 23. march 1919.Can it be possible that your graphics are dated there?But then the period is not too short?

I would be grateful if you could give me the exact data. And if possible, pictures or documentary.

Best regards, Mario
Sitmar-orke
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Re: Estonian Army 1918-1919

Unread postby Dorward_Bis » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi Mario)

You are right - these rank insignia were implemented by the Regulation of the Minister for War of the Estonian Republic # 42 on 26 November 1918 and were valid till 23 March 1919. All this was discovered by a well-known Estonian military historian and researcher Agur Benno.

Some illustrations (photographs) of this period of time:

The shoulder strap of the private of the 5th Estonian Regiment.

And here is an extract from the Regulations # 42 (initial text was in Estonian, but Agur Benno translated it into Russian, so my translation if based on the Russian version).
«All Estonian officers have to wear the uniform. Before the final decision concerning the new uniform’s color they should wear the previous Russian Army uniform taking into consideration changes as follows.
Officers’ shoulder straps have to be white (silver); for those who is servicing in the infantry shoulder straps should be with blue edges and blue stripes (means the narrow longitudinal stripes, one for ober-officers and 2 for staff officers – D.B.), for cavalrymen – with white edges and black stripes, for artillery – with black edges and red stripes, for engineers – with black edges and blue stripes, for the central HQ and government – with white edges and violet stripes.
On shoulder straps instead of Russian stars the Estonian coat of arms should be placed. Until the regular buttons will be made, it is allowed to use buttons of a white metal”

The following picture demonstrates the appearance of officers’ shoulder straps according to the Regulations # 42.

Indeed , a weird Russian-German hybride :)

Quite rare photographs - the officer is an alamleitnant (second lieutenant) of Estonian Air Force. And the appearance of Estonian coat of arms which replaced the Russian stars on officers’ and generals’ shoulder straps.

Regards, Dmitry
aka Dorward and Dmitry Belokurov
Dorward_Bis
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Sitmar-orke » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:12 pm

many thanks, Dmitry...

Your graph now closes the gap of 1918-1940.

best greetings, Mario
Sitmar-orke
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Unread postby Dorward_Bis » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:27 pm

You are welcome, my friend))
Glad to be helpful)
Btw - Merry Xmas, to you and to all!))
aka Dorward and Dmitry Belokurov
Dorward_Bis
ADMINISTRATOR