It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:36 pm
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Russian Four Star Generals

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

Russian Four Star Generals

Unread postby Yury » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:24 am

Now Russian Army Generals, as well as Fleet Admirals, wear FOUR STARS, not one big star as it is shown in this site...
Yury

Unread postby Lukasz Gaszewski » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:55 pm

Thanks Yury, this will be updated asap.

Lukasz

PS: don't you know if there are still only two warrant officer (proporchik) ranks in RF army/navy? I think I have seen a photo of a 1 star WO somewhere, but I can be wrong. Any information will be appreciated.
Lukasz Gaszewski
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Lukasz Gaszewski » Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:00 pm

Sorry, one more question: is there currently the rank of Admiral of the Fleet of the Russian Federation (just like there was Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union)? If so, when was it introduced and what do the insignia look like?

L.
Lukasz Gaszewski
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Russian 4 star general

Unread postby Zdzislaw Rudzki » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:37 pm

Hi
I received information from Yuri that 4 star rank were introduced in 1997. I searched thorugh my book and foud that really it was introduced on 27 Jan 1997 by the order of the President of Russian Federation. I even found the pictures which I'll send tomorrow to Pavel. According to the mentioned order the diameter of the stars was reduced from 35 to 22 mm and distance between centres of stars was also 22 mm.
Zdzislaw Rudzki
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Marshal of the Russian Federation insignia

Unread postby armyboy » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:56 am

Hello once again let me say how much I love this site and how informative it is for people who study military insignia. Anyway if I may make a suggestion, on the insignia of a Russian marshal in Parade style there is no red outline of the silver embrodery around the star. There is also no red outline on the national eagle it is just gold on a gold shoulder board. There is red however inside the crest on the eagle. The Marshal insignia in field cammo dress also has the eagle in brown thread and the star in black with brown where the silver would be. If you could please make a separate page of the Russian ranks in their everyday dress like you do with their field and parade it would be clearer to more people I believe. I good place for Images of the only Marshal of the Russian Federation to date,Igor Sergeyev, would be the American www.defenselink.com under news photos archive "Igor sergeyev". Russia does not yet have a Admrial of the Russian Federation and most likely won't due to the current state of the navy and it's deminished position compared to the other services.
armyboy

Russian Marshall insignia

Unread postby Zdzislaw Rudzki » Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:53 am

I'm just looking into the book "Voiennaia Odezda Vooruzennych Sil SSSR i Rossii (1917 - 1990-e gody)" published in Moscow in 1999. I think this could be used as a kind of reference. Here goes what there is about Russian Marshall and generals insignia:
1. Parade dress ("paradnye pogony"). Yes, "goodboy" is right, there is no red border for the silver embroidery near the star. However the star itself and the eagle has red border. Also the first pattern of the insignia for "general armii" has red border around both stars and a laurel wreath. Also the stars for all general ranks have red border for the army and blue for air force. Only the general's stars on shoulder board for shirt ("rubashka") have no color border. However those shoulder boards have also the white/silver background instead of gold.
2. Everyday dress ("povsednevnye pogony"). These shoulder boards have green background with red piping for army and dark blue background with blue piping for air force (also airborne troops and space troops "voienno-kosmiceskie sily"). The big star for Marshal and old pattern "general armii" is gold with red border. The eagle for Marshall and special emblem for general armii and stars for all other general ranks are gold withour color border.
3. Field uniform ("polevye pogony"). They have identical background as for everyday dress however without color piping. The stars for all general ranks are also green ("zashchitnogo cveta"). The big star for the Marshall and general armii (first pattern) has red border. The emblem for general armii is also green with red border. The marshall's eagle is gold. Other officer and NCO ranks have field shoulder boards with camouflage pattern and green stars (chevrons for NCOs). In this book the pattern presented on rankinsignia website (slip-on green shoulder board with black insignia) is not mentioned. I don't have any newer information about Russian insignia (except that in 1997 general armii received 4 stars in line instead of what is described above).

If anyone reads Russian I can scan the pages from the book with insignia regulations and post it (it's too hard for me to make exact Russian -> English translation of 8 pages, sorry).
Zdzislaw Rudzki
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:34 am

Lukasz Gaszewski wrote:Thanks Yury, this will be updated asap.

Lukasz

PS: don't you know if there are still only two warrant officer (proporchik) ranks in RF army/navy? I think I have seen a photo of a 1 star WO somewhere, but I can be wrong. Any information will be appreciated.

Dear Lukasz, we still have TWO WO ranks. Praporshchiks in the Army, Militia, etc, and Michmans in the Navy

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:37 am

Lukasz Gaszewski wrote:Sorry, one more question: is there currently the rank of Admiral of the Fleet of the Russian Federation (just like there was Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union)? If so, when was it introduced and what do the insignia look like?

L.

As far as I know, the highest rank in the Russian Navy is Fleet Admiral, now worn only by the Commander-in-Chief Kuroyedov.

PRAPORSCHIK

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:51 am

WO pogony with 1 star is fancy item. IN USSR existed only rank PRAPORSTCHIK (2 stars), later + STARSCHIJ PRAPORSTCHK (3 stars).

Re: PRAPORSCHIK

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:WO pogony with 1 star is fancy item. IN USSR existed only rank PRAPORSTCHIK (2 stars), later + STARSCHIJ PRAPORSTCHK (3 stars).

Exactly. have you ever seen 1 star WO pogony?
Yury

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:31 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Lukasz Gaszewski wrote:Thanks Yury, this will be updated asap.

Lukasz

Dear Lukasz, we still have TWO WO ranks. Praporshchiks in the Army, Militia, etc, and Michmans in the Navy

There are no 1 star WO pogony.

Unread postby Lukasz Gaszewski » Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:16 pm

Thank you very much, that's what I thought.

L.
Lukasz Gaszewski
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA