It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 pm
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Royal Navy observations

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

Royal Navy observations

Unread postby J.T. Broderick » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:51 pm

A couple of things I found interesting, and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

First is a 1971 Wikipedia photo of Rear Admiral David Scott RN when he was serving in Washington DC. He is wearing a khaki (US khaki, anyway) coat which appears to have RN shoulder board fitted over existing shoulder loops.

radm_david_scott.jpg

What is interesting are the metal collar insignia.

david_scott_insignia.jpg
david_scott_insignia.jpg (10.54 KiB) Viewed 571 times

They appear to be something like this:

rn_metal_collar.png
rn_metal_collar.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 571 times

Reading the 1966 RN Dress regulations on the terrific site Royal Marines Badges and Insignia Reference, "Gilt metal collar badges representing in miniature the distinction marks of rank and branch may be worn, optionally, on the khaki shirt by officers appointed for duty which necessitates their wearing khaki uniform in the presence of United States officers."

Does anyone know of any photos with these being worn, or of the devices themselves?
J.T. Broderick
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Re: Royal Navy observations

Unread postby J.T. Broderick » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:54 pm

Second is a 2014 photo of First Sea Lord Zambellas on a trip to the US. He is wearing a white tunic, no longer a standard item in the RN, with "working" shoulder boards. The commodore accompanying him has the "dress" boards. This looks odd, any ideas?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

Justin

1sl_straps.jpg
J.T. Broderick
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby SFMRAS » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:47 am

J.T. Broderick wrote:A couple of things I found interesting, and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

First is a 1971 Wikipedia photo of Rear Admiral David Scott RN when he was serving in Washington DC. He is wearing a khaki (US khaki, anyway) coat which appears to have RN shoulder board fitted over existing shoulder loops.

radm_david_scott.jpg

What is interesting are the metal collar insignia.

david_scott_insignia.jpg

They appear to be something like this:

rn_metal_collar.png

Reading the 1966 RN Dress regulations on the terrific site Royal Marines Badges and Insignia Reference, "Gilt metal collar badges representing in miniature the distinction marks of rank and branch may be worn, optionally, on the khaki shirt by officers appointed for duty which necessitates their wearing khaki uniform in the presence of United States officers."

Does anyone know of any photos with these being worn, or of the devices themselves?

Thanks for the site.
As far as I knew, only Canada wore the miniature metal insignia.
As far as I know regarding UK commodores, they no longer have the broad stripe, just the former rear admiral boards. Could be wrong about that.
SFMRAS
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby jrichardn2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:25 pm

I can confirm that RCN officers wore little metal collar badges showing stripes and curl - the helicopter pilot at an event I went to as a pre-teen wore them.
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby Torg003 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:14 pm

jrichardn2 wrote:I can confirm that RCN officers wore little metal collar badges showing stripes and curl - the helicopter pilot at an event I went to as a pre-teen wore them.

I assume that you're talking about the pre-unification RCN, not the post 2010 RCN (when they brought back the executive curl).
Torg003
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Medic_in_Uniform » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:38 am

J.T. Broderick wrote:Second is a 2014 photo of First Sea Lord Zambellas on a trip to the US. He is wearing a white tunic, no longer a standard item in the RN, with "working" shoulder boards.

The tunic remains an option for certain appointments (or, indeed, a requirement for certain occasions).

J.T. Broderick wrote:The commodore accompanying him has the "dress" boards. This looks odd, any ideas?

Someone didn't get the memo! smilies-15

Or someone forgot to pack 1SL's ceremonial boards... smilies-08

Given the nature of an event that has the Boss and his staff all in white tunics, one would have assumed that the bling boards would have been expected!
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby J.T. Broderick » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:41 am

Medic_in_Uniform wrote:The tunic remains an option for certain appointments (or, indeed, a requirement for certain occasions).

And I just noticed, apparently the pockets have been eliminated.

Medic_in_Uniform wrote:Someone didn't get the memo! smilies-15

Or someone forgot to pack 1SL's ceremonial boards... smilies-08

Given the nature of an event that has the Boss and his staff all in white tunics, one would have assumed that the bling boards would have been expected!

I thought the same thing about forgetting to pack, but here is a photo from the same trip. The first one was 31 July 2014, this one 01 August 2014:

1sl_straps_02.jpg

Well, anyway, not a big deal but interesting! Thanks for the comments,

Justin
J.T. Broderick
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby Medic_in_Uniform » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:17 am

Curious.

Yes, I didn't spot that the plain breast pockets had been omitted from the ice cream jackets.

Maybe they were a new batch made specifically for this trip and the tailor forgot them?!

I still think the RN are acutely aware that the old Roger Moore-style short-sleeve white safari suit looks fine, erm, on safari, but doesn't really cut it at a formal event next to the USN dress white chokers -- hence the continued inclusion of the long-sleeve ice cream jackets in the regs!

What they actually say is:

Notes
2. White tunic may be worn by Officers of Flag rank and certain members of staff, Commodores, Captains, Commanders in command, certain members of Flag Officers' staffs, Executive Officers of major warships, Attaches, Advisors, British Naval Staff overseas and Officers in certain exchange appointments. Also by other Officers, Warrant Officers and Senior Ratings when required to conform with accepted international standards of dress on state or major ceremonial occasions as directed by the State Ceremonial Training Officer at HMS COLLINGWOOD.

smilies-07

As to the shoulder boards it doesn't really make much sense but perhaps they couldn't find them on day one or had a new set run-up overnight?!

Who knows...

smilies-15

Look at the difference too between the Commander's "court-mounted" medals and 1SL's "swing-mounted" medals; in fact, all of his decorations and insignia rather look like they were simply thrown at the front of his jacket with a blob of glue on them and have just stuck wherever they landed! At least the pockets gave them something to which they could align the bling! On that note, I've often wondered how our US cousins cope with the idea of an Admiral who has "only" four medals plus the weird chest and neck thingy (!)...?

Oh, and for SFMRAS, the RN Commodore rank still maintains the broad lace cuff ring with the separate loop above (in place of the curl on a standard lace ring) as the standard marking of rank (and the same is worn on working dress shoulder slides and hard shoulder boards). The authorisation to use the "single-star" ceremonial boards did not come at the same time as the increase in the number of stars on the ceremonial boards for Adm / V-Adm / R. Adm. If I recall correctly, there was a delay of several years before the *old* R. Adm one-star boards officially appeared in the regs for Commodores.
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby SFMRAS » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:52 pm

Medic_in_Uniform wrote:
Oh, and for SFMRAS, the RN Commodore rank still maintains the broad lace cuff ring with the separate loop above (in place of the curl on a standard lace ring) as the standard marking of rank (and the same is worn on working dress shoulder slides and hard shoulder boards). The authorisation to use the "single-star" ceremonial boards did not come at the same time as the increase in the number of stars on the ceremonial boards for Adm / V-Adm / R. Adm. If I recall correctly, there was a delay of several years before the *old* R. Adm one-star boards officially appeared in the regs for Commodores.

I vaguely recalled something about the shoulder insignia going with sublieutenant-commodore insignia, followed by the two stars for RA, but I wasn't too sure if that was my mind playing tricks on me.
Depending on the day, my memory is excellent or, uh ... um, the thingy that isn't excellent.
smilies-05
SFMRAS
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA