It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 am
Change font size

EUROPE - BORDER & CUSTOMS BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

ITALY - CUSTOM POLICE

Customs Service, Border Protection

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

ITALY - CUSTOM POLICE

Unread postby Pavel Simandl » Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:37 pm

Pavel SIMANDL
CZECH REPUBLIC
Pavel Simandl
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Unread postby rmboss » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:17 am

Hello!
Even if I already told in in some post some time ago, in Italy we have recently introduced a general rank reform. Just to understand what I'm talking about, before we had 4 kinds of general ranks while now we will have 8 ranks!
Here you can find again the link to the offical site of the italian army site
http://www.esercito.difesa.it/root/Sezi ... azione.asp

Rmboss
rmboss
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Nila MadhaVa » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:08 am

rmboss...could you please translate some of the pertinent info on the site (regarding general or other ranks)...i am italian by decent but my dad never taught me the language (damn shame coz i always wanted to learn)...thanks in advance.
Nila MadhaVa
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby rmboss » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:37 am

All right, I will try to translate the italian ranks...even if that will be a great work.

GENERAL OFFICERS

Every general officer has a "greek" and stars. The colour of the normal stars is silver. But there can be also bronze stars with silver border (for generals who are holding a a position hold normally by a higher rank and which is temporanealy vacant) and also silver stars with a golden border (honorary rank)
The ranks :

Brigadier Generale = Brigadeer (greek + 1 silver star)

Brigadier Generale con funzioni superiori = Brigader holding higher appointment (greek + 1 silver star + 1 bronze star with silver border)

Maggior Generale a titolo onorifico = honorary major general ( greek + 1 silver star + 1 silver star with gold border)

Maggior Generale = Major General ( Greek + 2 silver stars)

Maggior Generale con incarichi speciali = Major General with special functions (Greek + 2 silver stars + 1 silver star with red border)

Tenente Generale = Lieutnant General (Greek + 3 silver stars)

Tenente Generale con Incarichi speciali = Lieutnant General with special functions , f.ex. commander of a corp ( Greek + 3 silver stars+1 silver star with red border)

Generale = General , rank reserved for the head commander of the defence (greek + 4 silver stars)

So, that's the general ranks explanation. In the next post it will follow the superiour officers translation

Rmboss
rmboss
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby rmboss » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:56 am

SUPERIOR OFFICERS

The ranks of tjesuperior officers (from major to colonel) have always a golden tower crown (or triple tower crown) and golden stars.

Unity commanders ( batailon and so on) have always min. 1 star with red border.

Majors and lieut.colonels which are bataillon/Regimen commanders have only 1 star with red border.
Colonels which have functions of brigaders have a greek which is the reserved insignia only for generals, but they will have a star with red border. This means that this rank has a general insignia, but the person who is wearing it is NOT a general! (Isn't it funny?)

Maggiore = Major (Tower crown + 1 gold star)

Maggiore Comandante di battaglione = Major, battailon commander ( Tower crown + 1 gold star + 1 gold star with red border)

Tenente Colonnello = Lieutnant Colonel ( Tower crown + 2 gold stars)

Tenente Colonnello Comandante di battaglione = Lieutnant

Colonel ,Battailon commander ( Tower crown + 2 gold stars with red border)

Tenente Colonnello con incarichi di Colonnello = Lieutnant Colonel holding the Colonel rank ( Tower crown + 2 gold stars + 1 bronze star with gold border)

Tenente Colonnello con funzioni di Colonnello = Lieutnant Colonel with Colonel's functions ( Tower crown + 2 gold stars + 1 gold star with red border). Don't ask me the difference between this rank and the previous one because I don't see any...

Colonnello a titolo onorifico = honorary colonel ( Tower crown + 2 gold stars + 1 gold star with silver border).

Colonnello = Colonel ( Tower crown + 3 gold stars)

Colonnello Commandante = Commander Colonel ( Tower crown + 3 gold stars with red border)

Colonnello con incarichi di Brigadier Generale = Colonel with functions of Brigader (Greek + 1 silver star with red border).

The next post will be about the inferior officers

Rmboss
rmboss
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby rmboss » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:06 pm

INFERIOR OFFICERS

The inferior officers are the sublieutnants, lieutnants and captains.

Only in the medical corp it exists the insignia of medical officer cadet which is not a proper rank.

The ranks of the inferior officers are made by gold stars.

Aspirante = Medical officer cadet (1 gold star with black border and snake and stick )

Sottotenente = Sublieutnant (1 gold star)

Tenente = Lieutnant (2 gold stars)

Tenente Comandante di compagnia = Commander Lieutnant ( 2 gold stars + 1 bronze star with golden border)

Capitano = Captain (3 gold stars)

Primo Capitano = First Captain (1 gold bar + 3 golden stars)

Next section : warrant officers!

Rmboss
rmboss
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby rmboss » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:24 pm

NON COMM. OFFICERS AND WARRANT OFFICERS

NON COMM.OFFICERS (Only career officers)

Allievo sergente = seargent cadet ( Gold stripe and "AS")

Sergente = Seargent ( thick golden "V" and 1 thin "V" in the golden one)

Sergente Aviotruppe = Paratroops/Air Force Seargent ( thick golden "V" with blue border and 1 thin "V" in the golden one)

Sergente Maggiore = Seargent Major ( thick golden "V" and 2 thin "V" in the golden one)

Sergente Maggiore Aviotruppe = Paratroops/Air Force Seargent Maj.( thick golden "V" with blue border and 2 thin "V" in the golden one)

WARRANT OFFICERS
In Italy the warrant officers are called "maresciallo", translated literaly: "marshal". Of course this rank doesn't have to be misundestood with the fieldmarshal rank which is normally the highest existing rank (and which was called in Italy "Maresciallo d'Italia" and which existed since 1945).

Maresciallo = Marshall - Warr.Off. 4 Class ( 1 gold stripe with black border)

Maresciallo ordinario = Ordinary Marshall - Warr.Off. 3 Class ( 2 gold stripes with black border)

Maresciallo capo= Chef Marshall - Warr.Off. 2 Class ( 3 gold stripes with black border)

Primo Maresciallo = First Marshall - Warr.Off. 1 Class ( 3 gold stripes with red border)

Primo Maresciallo Luogotenente = First Marshall Lieutnant - Chef Warr.Officer ( 3 gold stripes with red border + 1 gold star with red border)

The next section is : troops.

Rmboss
rmboss
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby rmboss » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:41 pm

TROOPS

OBLIGATORY SERVICE (10 months)

Soldato = Private (No rank insignia)

Caporale = Corporal 2° Class( black thick "V" with silver thin "V" in the black "V")

Caporale Scelto = Corporal 1° Class ( 1 black stripe + black thick "V" with silver thin "V" in the black "V")

SHORT CAREER SERVICE (max. 3 years, only volunteers)

Caporale = Corporal ( black thick "V" with blue border + blue thin "V" in the black "V")

Caporale Aviotruppe = Corporal - Paratroops/Air Force( Red thick "V" with blue border + blue thin "V" in the red "V")

Caporal Maggiore = Corporal Major( black thick "V" with blue border + 2 blue thin "V" in the black "V")

Caporale Aviotruppe = Corporal Major - Paratroops/Air Force( Red thick "V" with blue border + blue thin "V" in the red "V")

PERMANENT CAREER SERVICE (after the short career service)

1° Caporalmaggiore = First Corporal Major 2° CLass( 1 Red "V" closed with a semicircle)

Caporal Maggiore Scelto = First Corporal Major 1° Class ( 1 thick red "V" closed with a semicircle and a thin black "V" in the red "V")

Caporal Maggiore Capo = Chef Corporal Major 2° Class ( 1 thick red "V" closed with a semicircle and 2 black "V" in the red "V")

Caporal Maggiore Capo Scelto = Chef Corporal Major 1° Class ( 1 thick red "V" closed with a semicircle and 2 gold "V" in the red "V")

So, that's all... I think that our poor soldiers will need a user's guide to understand every rank and rank insignia. I think that with this reform the italian military gerarchy is getting one of the most complex.

Rmboss
rmboss
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Nila MadhaVa » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:31 am

thank you VERY much!! some of those ranks are very funny indeed...especially the rank of general...who is not actually a general! i personaly think a lot of those ranks are very confusing!

i apreciate the time you have taken to translate those ranks for me...and every one else on the forum...thanks again.
Nila MadhaVa
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby rmboss » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:25 am

Hello...
Well, many of these strange ranks have a logical reason to exist, but it is a pure italian logic.
Just to make you understand what I'm speaking about : if an officer is not studying at the war accademy, he will only reach the rank of lieutnant colonel and retire with that rank. Also not every colonel will become automatically general and also it's not automatic that a 1 star general will become 2 stars gen. and so on. This means that since some time ago the promotion was guaranteed with the length of the military service. Now it's not anymore like that. So, if the promotion is not anymore automatic, our rank organizers invented these kinds of ranks-between-ranks which are promotions but not at all. The honorary ranks are quite usual in Italy. When an officer retires (for ex. as colonel), it's not so rare that at his last day of service he is promoted general just to retire as general officer, so it's like a price given at the end of a military career.

The same happened also in the obligatory service (1 year, now 10 months but in a short time there won't be anymore an obligatory service).
Troops could reach max. the rank of corporal major, but if a corp.maj. was acting well, he could finish his service as seargent, so as non comm.officer. Of course he could wear this rank insignia for the last 10-15 days of service.
Now it will be a little more absurd, but that's the logic....

Rmboss
rmboss
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:14 am

What a strange, complex system, i dont get it, whats the reason behind all those additional ranks?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - BORDER & CUSTOMS BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA