It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:24 pm
Change font size

EUROPE - BORDER & CUSTOMS BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

New uniforms on German Border ??

Customs Service, Border Protection

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

New uniforms on German Border ??

Unread postby Zdzislaw Rudzki » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:12 am

Hi all
A week ago I was crossing the Polish-German border in Goerlitz. I was surprised seeing on the German side some unusual uniforms. Apart of the well known Police, Border Police and ZOLL uniforms, there were few peoples dressed in blue shirts and very dark blue trousers, with the green armband labelled POLIZEI (yellow letters ? I'm not sure). The rank insignia worn by those people were in a form of the red bars on the shoulder straps. The one who's been checking my passport had one wide red bar on his shirt's shoulder strap and above it the other narrower with the gold emblem similar to the "grenade" of Austrian gendarmerie. Does anyone know what it was?

BTW, It would be nice to add at least few uniform examples (not only rank insignia) to this page - what's your opinion?
Zdzislaw Rudzki
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:51 am

Maybe auxilary police of some sort, did they have guns? What is the ZOLL?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Zdzislaw Rudzki » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:03 am

Hi Chris
1. Yes, the have guns
2. Zoll means customs (in German)
Zdzislaw Rudzki
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby rmboss » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:15 am

Hello,
recently I saw also such uniforms at the swiss-german zoll, and I was thinking at the beginning that they were soldiers and not policemen.
But when the man asked for my documents I noticed that they were policemen (I saw also the armband). I asked a german friend and he said that probably that was a summer uniform, but I don't think so. On my opinion these are new uniforms for "operative" customs police.

I think that for every country and for every corps it would be interesting to show at least 3 uniforms : troops, non commissioned officers and officers. Don't forget that many country show the rank insignia also on the cap. I think that they should be listed also...
rmboss
rmboss
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:36 pm

Some ideas on what they could be:

German Navy or Air Force Military Police
Reserve Border Police
Reserve Police (from border regions)
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Gerrit_C. » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:52 pm

ChrisWI wrote:German Navy or Air Force Military Police

Actually, I know of distinctive military police only in the German Heer (Army)...
But I doubt thoese men were part of the MP. In that case they would've worn standard camouflage uniforms with armbands reading either "FELDJÄGER" or "MP".
And besides, guarding the borders like this is not part of the Bundeswehr's task.

Actually, the uniform described here is totally alien to me. I can only imagine that these officers were members of some foreign border guard or police currently on service in Germany.
Projects like this have been going for some time as part of the European unification process.

Reserve Border Police
Reserve Police (from border regions)

Groups like that don't exist. An even if they did - Border Police and regular Police (with the exeception of Hamburg's new uniforms) wear green, not blue.

BTW, greetings to everyone, it's my first post here!
Gerrit_C.
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:47 pm

Could they be Polish Police of some sort?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Zdzislaw Rudzki » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:07 pm

Certainly not, first of all I know Polish uniforms .... :)
2. They were on a German side of the border
3. They had armbands with POLIZEI lettering (= Police in German)

After all, the suggestion that they could be foreign police on training for UE unification corresponds with my impression that their insignia were similar to Austrian Gendarmerie
Zdzislaw Rudzki
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:30 pm

Zdzislaw Rudzki wrote:Certainly not, first of all I know Polish uniforms .... :)
2. They were on a German side of the border
3. They had armbands with POLIZEI lettering (= Police in German)

After all, the suggestion that they could be foreign police on training for UE unification corresponds with my impression that their insignia were similar to Austrian Gendarmerie

As you said maybe they were Austrian Gendarmerie, dident Germany used to have Gendarmerie?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Olivier Comault » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:57 am

Hi Everybody !

Dear Zdzislaw,

The uniforms you've seen are rather curious, because I'don't see what country uses red bars and grenades ( since they are rather undoubtely members from a foreign country ). I thought at one time... France, because of the close cooperation protocoll signed in January between the "Douane" and the "Zoll" , its insignia is a hunting horn with a flaming grenade inscribed in it, the uniform is dark blue... But not any French uniformed service use red bars ( hevrons instead ), and the most remarkable insignia of a French Customs Official is... a red band on the trousers ( which are royal blue ), which you cannot miss...

Could be... Switzerland ?!

Olivier
Olivier Comault
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Unread postby ChrisWI » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:15 pm

Pavel dosent have French Customs on his site. Sounds like an intersting system though

Isent this French Customs though: Image
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby toXic » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:02 am

Hi folks,

according to a friend of mine, who is currently a police officer in training, the German Police will be introducing a new set of uniforms in the near future changing the color scheme from green-ocre to black or dark blue. Some of those uniforms are said to be in some kind of testing period right now. Maybe you saw some of these.

Cheers,

toX
toXic
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby ChrisWI » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:16 am

I thaught that was only in Havover?
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby toXic » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:18 pm

ChrisWI wrote:I thaught that was only in Havover?

Well, I'm not sure wether this testing is just limited to Hanover or not. I'll just phone my freind this evening and tell you then.
toXic
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Gerrit_C. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:15 pm

toXic wrote:Well, I'm not sure wether this testing is just limited to Hanover or not.

Actually, the only Bundesland I know that will change from green to blue is Hamburg.
Gerrit_C.
VISITOR
VISITOR

Pictures of ne new uniform

Unread postby Traumtaenzer » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:58 pm

Gerrit_C. wrote:
toXic wrote:Well, I'm not sure wether this testing is just limited to Hanover or not.

Actually, the only Bundesland I know that will change from green to blue is Hamburg.

http://fhh.hamburg.de/stadt/Aktuell/beh ... start.html if you want to see some pictures
Traumtaenzer

Unread postby Rogriss » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:32 am

COMAULT, Olivier wrote:Hi Everybody !

Dear Zdzislaw,

The uniforms you've seen are rather curious, because I'don't see what country uses red bars and grenades ( since they are rather undoubtely members from a foreign country ). I thought at one time... France, because of the close cooperation protocoll signed in January between the "Douane" and the "Zoll" , its insignia is a hunting horn with a flaming grenade inscribed in it, the uniform is dark blue... But not any French uniformed service use red bars ( hevrons instead ), and the most remarkable insignia of a French Customs Official is... a red band on the trousers ( which are royal blue ), which you cannot miss...

Could be... Switzerland ?!

Olivier

Not to my knowledge.
We don't have grenades nor any other icons on the pads, and the uniform is grey/green/red.

But I see greandes in Italy a lot. Perhaps something from there?
Rogriss

Unread postby ChrisWI » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:15 pm

Euro Customs, maybe the EU hasa Customs Service
ChrisWI
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: New uniforms on German Border ??

Unread postby Ilek » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:02 pm

[quote="Zdzislaw Rudzki"]Hi all
A week ago I was crossing the Polish-German border in Goerlitz. I was surprised seeing on the German side some unusual uniforms. Apart of the well known Police, Border Police and ZOLL uniforms, there were few peoples dressed in blue shirts and very dark blue trousers, with the green armband labelled POLIZEI (yellow letters ? I'm not sure). The rank insignia worn by those people were in a form of the red bars on the shoulder straps. The one who's been checking my passport had one wide red bar on his shirt's shoulder strap and above it the other narrower with the gold emblem similar to the "grenade" of Austrian gendarmerie. Does anyone know what it was?

Why didn't you simply ask them? :)
Ilek

unknown uniforms at Polish - German Border

Unread postby ULI » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:26 am

Hallo friends,

I´m very interested in what our Polish friend had seen . I know every kind of German uniforms - the new ones too . I think those uniforms our friend from Poland has seen had been surely been non - German uniforms, may be uniforms of an allied country . The green arm - band with "Polizei" (police in German) indicates, that´s not a German uniform, because all members of German police - forces are wearing arm - shield of their unites : For example police : heraldic sign of the country (states) and upon "POLIZEI" . Such green arm - bands our friend had seen are worn only by policemen or custom - officers in civilian - clothes to show that they are policemen etc. If a policeman of a foreign country is hospitating in Germany his uniform is normally unknown to German citizens . So he is wearing the green arm - band to indicate he is in German police service . That may be the explanation of that phenomenon .

ULI fromGermany
ULI

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:13 pm

foreign police in German service

Unread postby DML » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm

Some remarks:
1. A lot of German Police Forces (Bundesländer and BGS) wil change from green to blue; Hamburg ist the first one which has changed.
2. In Germany it's not allowed that Military Police does Police duties.
3. Although the BGS will change the uniform colour from green to blue, you cannot see the new uniforms in the field, because the are in the planning phase.
4. The Police officers at the border with the strange uniform are police officers from othe EU member states. It's a EU programme to change police officers among each other for some weeks. The Officers you have seen at the polish border are probably Italian carabinieri or Italian state police.
DML
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby DML » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:44 pm

A second remark from me, because this topic was posted under customs service:
The BGS (Bundesgrenzschutz) ist not a custom service - the BGS is one of the German federal police forces and this year it will be renamed into Bundespolizei.
DML
VISITOR
VISITOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - BORDER & CUSTOMS BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA