It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:42 am
Change font size

EUROPE - CORRECTIONS & PRISONS BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Irish Prison Service

Corrections Service, Prison Service

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

Irish Prison Service

Unread postby Luke » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Irish Prison Service

Rank Structure

Governor I
Governor II
Governor III
Deputy Governor
Assistant Governor
Chief Officer I
Chief Officer II
Assistant Chief Officer
Prison Officer

Source: http://www.irishprisons.ie/files/pdf/Career_Booklet.pdf

Prison governors are the managers of the prison service and are responsible for the administration and smooth running of a prison unit. They work at different levels of responsibility according to their management grade. These range from Governor 3 to Governor 1 grade.

Governor 3 grade is the initial management grade. This role is largely made up of training and supervising staff, as well as arranging work and leisure activities for inmates. A Governor 3 may work in all parts of the prison and have frequent contact with prisoners.

Governor 2 staff have additional responsibilities to those above and may have overall responsibility for a small prison. Governors working in the larger establishments are graded 2 or 1.

The only route to becoming a prison governor is to join the service as a prison officer and work your way up. There are two main promotional paths available from the basic Prison Officer rank.

The first path is from Prison Officer to Assistant Chief Officer to Chief Officer 2 and then to Chief Officer 1 grade.

The second path is from prison officer to Clerk 2 to Clerk 1 to Assistant Governor.

Having reached either Assistant Governor or Chief Officer grade, candidates may apply for Deputy Governor positions. Promotion to Governor 2 level is open to those at Governor 3 and Deputy Governor levels. Promotion to Governor 1 level is open to those at Governor 2 and Governor 3 levels.

Source: http://www.careerdirections.ie/CD/DBAll ... jsp?id=788
Luke

Irish prison Service

Unread postby Herrwiggly » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Hi Luke, some of you chaps out there seem to have a real talent for finding the information we need, any chance you can find the actual rank insignia? if so that woulld be very useful. :D :D :D Cheers.
Herrwiggly
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Luke » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:45 pm

No, I'm sorry. I have searched and searched, but there isn't much on the net about the Irish Prison Service.

Luke
Luke

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - CORRECTIONS & PRISONS BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA