It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:12 am
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY MEDALS & DECORATIONS

Federal Republic of Germany War medals

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

Federal Republic of Germany War medals

Unread postby Herrwiggly » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:08 am

Hi everybody, I have wondered for some time, does Germany have any war medals on the statute books? I also wondered if the German soldier went to war, what series of awards would be available?
Is the Iron Cross still applicable in such a situation? or was this banned after WW11?
Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
Cheers.
Herrwiggly
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Miklós Lovász » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:21 am

http://menschenundorden.hdg.de/Final/eng/page20.htm

then click on the subdued cross on the left. It's all in German unfortunatelly, but agood starting point. Anyway, it looks like they don't even have military decorations, let alone war decorations. The German Federal Order of Merit is given for civilian services only and has no military class. The other decorations bestowed by the Federal President are all for sports, culture and alike. The Federal Ministry of Defence has the Bundeswehr Cross and Medal of Honour, established by permission of the Federal President in 1980:

http://www.bundeswehr.de/portal/PA_1_0_LT/PortalFiles/C1256EF4002AED30/W26X6BZD044INFODE/Leistungskatalog+2005+fuer+Wehrpflichtige+und+Reservisten.pdf?yw_repository=youatweb

page 26

as well as the Action Medal, bestowed upon all military personnel that spends at least 30 days in action.
Miklós Lovász
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

German war time medal

Unread postby PNJ » Sat May 05, 2007 8:46 pm

Hi Herrwiggly,

there are currently no war time decorations in the Bundeswehr.

For extraordinary service there is the Ehrenmedaille and the Ehrenkreuz der Bundeswehr in bronze, silver and gold.
URL Ehrenkreuz der Bundeswehr

It is also common to present exceptional officers and NCOs with the Bundesverdienstkreuz, the level depending on the circumstance.

URL Bundesverdienstkreuz

The iron cross was a Prussian war time decoration, which was founded several times (i.e. 1813 liberation war against Napoleonic France, 1870 Franco-Prussian war, 1914 WWI, and 1939 WWII).

It apparently was the first war time decoration that was given to all soldiers regardless of rank and noble status.
During WWII and too some degree during WWI it was awarded excessively, while prior to that it was only awarded very sparingly.

There is currently a petition pending at the Bundestag to found the iron cross again in order to award soldiers serving in Afghanistan etc.

But understandable most Germans are reluctant to use a medal that was misused during WWII and I believe that we won't see a new iron cross founded any time soon.

Regards
PNJ
PNJ
VISITOR
VISITOR

german medals

Unread postby Herrwiggly » Sat May 05, 2007 9:19 pm

Hi PNJ, sehr interesant
vielen dank.
tschus
Herrwiggly
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby PNJ » Sat May 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Your welcome / Gern geschehen! :)
PNJ
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby boricua » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:11 am

As long as there is discussion about the reestablishment of the Eisenkreuz, I would like to remind you of the black and white cross that Germany uses as its Air Force and military insignia. smilies-05
boricua

Unread postby Laurence Strong » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:08 pm

boricua wrote:As long as there is discussion about the reestablishment of the Eisenkreuz, I would like to remind you of the black and white cross that Germany uses as its Air Force and military insignia. smilies-05

Thats know as the "Balkankreuz"
Always looking to buy Heeresverwaltungs (HV) and Sonderfuhrer items. Insignias, paperwork, photo's, Soldbuchs......
Laurence Strong
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby Livgardist » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:03 am

Laurence Strong wrote:
boricua wrote:As long as there is discussion about the reestablishment of the Eisenkreuz, I would like to remind you of the black and white cross that Germany uses as its Air Force and military insignia. smilies-05

Thats know as the "Balkankreuz"

Not quite I'm afraid. It's "Balkenkreuz", as in the english beam.
Livgardist

Unread postby ELSUPREMO » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:25 pm

I had always read that the Order of the Iron Cross, Eiserneskreuz, was specially re-constitued each time Germany was at war. From the standpoint of the United States, and the requirements of the Constitution, only Congress can delcare war, on the request of the President. No such request nor any such declaration has been asked for or made, and thus, the United States is NOT at war anywhere in the world. The US and Germany are involved in military conflicts to be sure, but not war, not only a word, but a state of affairs which has both legal and political significance! So, it would be extraordinary if the Bundestag were to re-constitute the Order of the Iron Cross under these circumstances.
ELSUPREMO

Definition of War

Unread postby Luke » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:53 am

(1) The US legal definition of war is not binding for any other country.

(2) Under international law a state of war can exist objectively, irrespective of the legal definitions given by the warring parties. Hence, under international law, United States can be at war, although war is not declared by the US Congress.

/Luke
Luke

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY MEDALS & DECORATIONS