It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:40 pm
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BADGES & PATCHES

UK Para wings

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Erskine Calderon, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

UK Para wings

Unread postby Laurence Strong » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:47 pm

Can anybody tell me the significance of the different colored wings, and are the ones with the bigger "basket" under the parachute for Para Instructors?

Thanks
Larry

Always looking to buy Heeresverwaltungs (HV) and Sonderfuhrer items. Insignias, paperwork, photo's, Soldbuchs......
Laurence Strong
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby Necrothesp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:59 pm

They're for different services, regiments and corps on different orders of dress.

The larger basket doesn't have any significance beyond being a different design. Parachute Jump Instructors (PJIs) are usually from the RAF and wear a breast aircrew brevet - a parachute in a wreath with a single wing. Assistant Parachute Jump Instructors (APJIs), from any service, wear a version of the usual jump wings with the letters APJI in a wreath below the parachute.

Some of the images I can identify:

Top right (red on dark blue): Royal Marines
Second left (white and sky blue on dark blue): RAF
Bottom right (white and sky blue on khaki): standard Army
Necrothesp
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby DavidT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:42 pm

The 2nd one up from the bottom, L/H side (black on red) could be the Gurkhas, particularly the former 3KEO Gurkha Regiment. The one next to it in the R/H column (blue wings, white parachute on scarlet) I've seen listed as Duke of Wellington's Regiment, although Bragg & Turner list it as "Junior Parachute Company". The one above it in the R/H column looks like the Royal Irish Regiment. The blue on white (above it) is Royal Navy.
DavidT
VISITOR
VISITOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY BADGES & PATCHES