It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:35 pm
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BADGES & PATCHES

Name tags of British royals

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Erskine Calderon, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

Name tags of British royals

Unread postby marcpasquin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:22 pm

I saw a picture of prince Harry in military gear wearing a "Wales" name patch. What about other royals who served in the military ?
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Nametags for Royals

Unread postby resqspc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Back in WWII, then-Princess Elizabeth was known as 'Second Subaltern Elizabeth Windsor' upon being commissioned into the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS).
resqspc
VISITOR
VISITOR

Dukes

Unread postby 60bill » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:03 pm

Royal children are born princes but are later raised to the title of Duke, for example Dukes of York, Kent and Sussex along with a few other dukedoms are held just for the Royal Family.
Royal family name is Windsor changed from the German Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in 1917,to prevent the possibility of any anti Royal feelings during the First Word War.
I believe simple put, once the Prince takes the Dukedom then the children’s names change also.
Prince Charles before becoming the Prince of Wales was called Windsor, on becoming the Prince of Wales his children are called Wales, although he still remains a member of the House of Windsor.
Not an expert on Heraldry so please correct me if wrong.
Fear is the best weapon
60bill
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby Medic_in_Uniform » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:10 pm

I don't claim any massive expertise here but that's more or less it. As the child of a sovereign's son, he is formally styled "Prince Henry (Harry) of Wales," regardles of his actual family surname - so hence his name-tags read "Wales"

See the relevant Wikipedia page on styles of address in the UK (which seems to be correct, as far as I can tell):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styles_and_titles_of_peers
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Windsor

Unread postby 60bill » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:27 pm

I believe that the POW now intends to confirm the use of the name Mountbatton-Windsor which first reared its head to the public in 1973 with Princess Anne and married Mark Phillips, but I believe the Patent goes back to the early 1960s.
Up to now most the Royal Family name is still Winsor, but here descendents family name is Mountbatton-Windsor.
If he does become king, and he changes the royal house name to the family name, we will then have a Royal Family with two made-up names of no historical value.
Really it makes a complete farce out of the Royal Line and family heraldry, the idea of which was to show direct decent by family name.
I believe the line should really come from the monarchs' line which before 1917 was Saxe-Coburg and Goth, but Mountbatton comes from the cosmetic change to one of Prince Phillips family names of Battenburg.

It could also give the anti lobby the cry of; get rid of the name, get rid of the monarchy.
The monarchy prides it's self on tradition and stability take that away and then what!

But like I said, I'm no expert and many people will probably disagree with me but I still believe it make the whole system pointless.
Fear is the best weapon
60bill
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Re: Name tags of British royals

Unread postby jrichardn2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:16 pm

When the Prince of Wales served in the Royal Navy I read that he was referred to as "Wales", like his son.

My understanding is that the royals don't really have names like Marc and I do (firstname lastname). Prince Harry's name really IS "Prince Harry [or Henry] of Wales". That doesn't explain Princess Elizabeth's service name, except as some kind of groping toward a princess-of-the-people label.

It'd be interesting to know what was on William's Air Force nameplate after he was created Duke of Cambridge. Before that it would've been "Wales"; I expect after that it was "Cambridge".
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Re: Name tags of British royals

Unread postby Helios88 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:58 am

jrichardn2 wrote:When the Prince of Wales served in the Royal Navy I read that he was referred to as "Wales", like his son.

My understanding is that the royals don't really have names like Marc and I do (firstname lastname). Prince Harry's name really IS "Prince Harry [or Henry] of Wales". That doesn't explain Princess Elizabeth's service name, except as some kind of groping toward a princess-of-the-people label.

It'd be interesting to know what was on William's Air Force nameplate after he was created Duke of Cambridge. Before that it would've been "Wales"; I expect after that it was "Cambridge".
Royals have not surnames, such as old noble houses do not have surnames; however, for bureaucratic purposes the surname is held to be the location which the title or the house refers to: Italian royals used the surname "Savoia" without actually having a surname, the British Crown Prince is the Prince of Wales and therefore the surname used is "Wales" and in the same way Prince Henry uses "Wales" as surname, because he doesn't have any title or peerage; on the other hand, I suppose that Prince William, being nowadays Duke of Cambridge, now may use "William Cambridge".
Helios88
VISITOR
VISITOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY BADGES & PATCHES