It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:01 pm
Change font size

EUROPE - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA

Finnish Frontier Guard

Police, Security

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

Finnish Frontier Guard

Unread postby sketor7558 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:20 pm

Land Element
Coast Element
Last edited by sketor7558 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sketor7558
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Luke » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:55 pm

Some additional information:

a) There are no matruusi in the Border Guard
b) A conscript sotamies is called rajajääkäri
c) A conscript korpraali is called ylirajajääkäri
d) A regular sotilasmestari in the land element is called rajavartiomestari
e) A regular sotilasmestari in the coast element is called merivartiomestari
f) In theory, at least, there is a four star rank for both elements: kenraali, amiraali

SOURCE:
HTTP://WWW.FINLEX.FI/FI/LAKI/ALKUP/2004/20040073
Luke

Unread postby Canet » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:37 pm

I would like to know the scource for the picture Sketor posted (only one is open, others are not opening).
Since spring 2003 the has been ranks of junior, senior and leading frontier/coastal guard - they are enlisted ranks (professionals). The only warrant rank I know about is Master Frontier/Coastal Guard. Enlisted ranks have 1..3 horizontal thin (and short) lines on their shoulder boards or upper sleeves - orange for boarder guard and blue for coastal guard.

The Master rank has four short horizontal golden stripes ( 6 x 35 mm) on green or dark blue. Under the gold stripes there is one long, thin horizontal orange line - the piping color for frontier guards in Finland.

I have never seen the use of Frontier Guards emblem (bear's head, sword and spruce brances) on collar batches. It normally worn on right breast and also on beret.

Because Finnish Frontier Guard also trains conscripts (compulsory military service for all able males of 20 years of age - 6, 9 or 12 months), they most likely have lance-corprals and corprals (in Finnish korpraali and alikersantti). I do not believe the rank title "ylirajajääkäri" (leading boarder guard) is used by conscripts.

I am going to check the facts from local Coastal Guard Station - will inform in this string.
Canet
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby sketor7558 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:37 pm

fixed now
i guess the rank insignia i have is the former insignia.............your suggestions for modifications are welcomed
sketor7558
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Canet » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:44 pm

I think the Coastal Guard badges are ok - thou there are only the enlisted and wo ranks I mentioned. I do not think thouse Boarder Guard badges has even ben in use - but I check and return to the subject - but do not hold your breath while you wait me to post something new about this..
Canet
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Luke » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:15 am

My Finnish is not the best - to put it mildly; so what does this mean:

"Sotamiehen sotilasarvona rajavartiolaitoksessa on kuitenkin rajajääkäri ja korpraalin sotilasarvona ylirajajääkäri"

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/alkup/2004/20040073
Luke

Unread postby Finn_Ltn » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:05 pm

Luke wrote:My Finnish is not the best - to put it mildly; so what does this mean:

"Sotamiehen sotilasarvona rajavartiolaitoksessa on kuitenkin rajajääkäri ja korpraalin sotilasarvona ylirajajääkäri"

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/alkup/2004/20040073

"Sotamies" is "rajajääkäri" (=frontier jaeger) and "korpraali" is "ylirajajääkäri" in Finnish Frontier Guard. Just like General is Admiral in the navy :)
Finn_Ltn

Unread postby Luke » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:34 pm

Finn_Ltn !

Canet wrote:

I do not believe the rank title "ylirajajääkäri" (leading boarder guard) is used by conscripts.

That's why I wondered if I had misunderstod the Finnish legal text. Obviously you don't agree with Canet.

This by the way is the new rank insignia Canet is talking about:

Rajavartiomestari Source: http://www.rajavartioliitto.fi/Tiedotus ... merkit.htm

Luke
Luke

Unread postby Canet » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:26 pm

Yup! That's the badge - the WO-rank of Boarder Guards - the same with navy blue back ground is used by the Coastal Guards.

And now I must say I am sorry. I have mixed the enlisted and conscript ranks in the Finnish Frontier Guards. So it is really true as Fin-Ltn said - the conscript soldier (he is a young boy or girl of some 20 years of age doing his compulsory or hers voluntary military service - most do it in the defence forces, but some goes to the frontier guards) is called "rajajääkäri" - " frontier (or boarder) jaeger (or rifleman or ranger)" so the following rank up is then leading frontier jaeger (ylirajajääkäri). And we must not mix these ranks with the enlisted (professional) ranks frontier (or boarder) guards (junior, "normal" and leading).

btw. I am still working on those rank badges..
Canet
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Luke » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:37 pm

I am looking forward to see them.

Luke
Luke

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH & RANK INSIGNIA