It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:30 am
Change font size

EUROPE - MILITARY BADGES & PATCHES

Styles of Cap Insignia

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Erskine Calderon, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki, Peter

Styles of Cap Insignia

Unread postby boricua » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:33 am

What are the different styles of cap insignia around the world? In Latin America, the usual style is the coat of arms, and the cockade on the highest point of the cap; the US only uses the coat of arms, Germany uses only the cockade, and Spain uses a device with the Eagle of St John and the Cross of St James which qualifies as a cockade because the eagle is yellow and the cross is red. smilies-05
boricua

Unread postby Laurence Strong » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:13 pm

Canada uses the Regimental Badge.
Always looking to buy Heeresverwaltungs (HV) and Sonderfuhrer items. Insignias, paperwork, photo's, Soldbuchs......
Laurence Strong
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Styles of Cap Badges

Unread postby shako_uk » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:48 pm

It would be a brave man who attempts to divided cap badges into different styles, taking account of designs, but, by "cap badges", I take it you mean peaked-cap or visor-cap badges as opposed to beret badges. If that assumption is correct, and ignoring subject matter, I think there are only two styles,

As you rightly say, the U.S.A. adopted the National Crest - the eagle - as their cap badge, but this is ignoring the multitude of Divisional Insignia that have been used over the years. The National Crest is, perhaps, the symbol used by most countries, often in conjunction with a cockade displaying the National Colours. Examples include the South and Central American States, Finland, , Spain, Germany, Russia and the ex-Soviet States, many of the east European countries and some of the African States, Syria, Egypt, Middle-eastern countries and those in the Arabian Gulf.

The secondt group of counrtries developed a multitude of cap badges, representing function of the units involved (Arm of Service) or the regions from which the regiments were initially drawn. These countires include the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Malaysia, (all of which follow the U.K.system), Holland,
Oman, Israel, etc.

These groupings ignore the trend of the post-WW2 period which has seen the adoption of the beret as the universal head-gear for most armies and, with it, a proliferation of badges to cope with so-called "elite" units (paras, Special forces, rapid-reaction forces, etc.). Many countries in category one, above, have produced distinctive badges for the beret, in contrast with previous traditions and, in some cases, have dispensed with the National cockade for the beret, for reasons of space.

Belgium and Mexico , are two countries that sported both a distinctive badge and a National Cockade on their peaked caps, though I am not sure this still applies in the latter country.

I
shako_uk
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby mbbwp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:42 pm

The British Army use their Regimental emblem as their cap-badge/beret badge. Should point out at this time that there are plently of cap-badges around from Regiments that no-longer "exist", such as the Royal Glous, Berks and Wilts, which is now 1st Batt Rifles. That Regiment was the only Regiment in the British Army to have what is called a "back-badge", i.e. a badge on the reverse of the cap/ beret as well as on the front. This was granted after their service in Egypt, but I can't give you specifics there as my Regimental history is a little rusty.

The RAF use for ORs "RAF" surrounded by a wreath, surmounted by a crown as their cap badge. WOs have an Eagle atop four laurels, with the Eagle surmounted by a crown. The same badge is used for Officers, but in cloth form, where WOs have it in metal.

Enlisted ranks/ other ranks have metal cap-badges for the most part, and Officers have cloth, but tthere are a few Regiments where this is the reverse, or metal is used for both, but I couldn't say which they were without going through all my old books and notes on the topic.
mbbwp
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Necrothesp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:12 pm

mbbwp wrote:The RAF use for ORs "RAF" surrounded by a wreath, surmounted by a crown as their cap badge. WOs have an Eagle atop four laurels, with the Eagle surmounted by a crown. The same badge is used for Officers, but in cloth form, where WOs have it in metal.

The cap badges worn by RAF officers and warrant officers are actually quite distinct.
Necrothesp
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby mbbwp » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:55 pm

Apart from the WOs cap badge being metal, and the Officer cap badge being cloth, there is very little difference. The crown on the Officers cap badge is slightly larger than that of the WO, but is it the same basic cap badge.

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=450 HM QE2 Officer's Cap Badge.

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=1219 HM QE2 WO Cap Badge.
mbbwp
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Necrothesp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:07 am

Look at the wreaths. They're substantially different. That's the big difference between the two. The WO's wreath is positioned far more vertically, the branches are more spread out and aren't bound together at the bottom. I have to say I've never confused the two badges - they're quite different.
Necrothesp
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Unread postby J.T. Broderick » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Look at the wreaths. They're substantially different. That's the big difference between the two. The WO's wreath is positioned far more vertically, the branches are more spread out and aren't bound together at the bottom. I have to say I've never confused the two badges - they're quite different.

The all-metal RAF WO cap badge originated as the wartime economy version of the officer's cap badge, and was optional for wear by commissioned officers as well as WO1's on the original khaki RAF uniform. After the war and the shift to the blue uniform, the metal badge was retained for WO's, while commissioned officers adopted the embroidered badge exclusively. It's true that there were visual differences from the start, but this is often the case when the same design is executed in both metal and bullion embroidery. Later (WW2? Sorry I don't know the date) an economy version of the commissioned officers' cap badge was authorized, with stamped metal crown, eagle and wreath in separate pieces attached to a cloth backing. This badge more closely duplicated the details of the embroidered version.

I think it's fair to say that the essentials of the design are the same, but the execution is different.

Best regards,
Justin
J.T. Broderick
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to EUROPE - MILITARY BADGES & PATCHES