[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 214: htmlspecialchars(): charset `one.cz/www/temp/cache/Nette.Configurator/Container_50e26eaa2c.php0x7f6ce72022ae' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 87: htmlspecialchars(): charset `one.cz/www/temp/cache/Nette.Configurator/Container_50e26eaa2c.php0x7f6ce72022ae' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 129: htmlspecialchars(): charset `one.cz/www/temp/cache/Nette.Configurator/Container_50e26eaa2c.php0x7f6ce72022ae' not supported, assuming utf-8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 130: htmlspecialchars(): charset `one.cz/www/temp/cache/Nette.Configurator/Container_50e26eaa2c.php0x7f6ce72022ae' not supported, assuming utf-8
• View topic - 2017 - New websites of Encyclopedia
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:54 pm
Change font size

ANNOUNCEMENT & INFORMATION

2017 - New websites of Encyclopedia

Moderators: Miklós Lovász, Dorward_Bis, Medic_in_Uniform, kaldi, Chuck Anderson, Pavel Močoch, Erskine Calderon, Lukasz Gaszewski, ChrisWI, Zdzislaw Rudzki

2017 - New websites of Encyclopedia

Unread postby Pavel Močoch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 am

Dear friends,
a company was selected to create new websites of the Encyclopedia.
I'll be glad, if you'd write me your suggestions of what should these sites contain. New sites will be multi-language, that's why I'm looking for volunteers to translate to Russian, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, etc.
In the new Encyclopedia will be illustrations and photos of all parts of uniforms (caps, badges, buttons, medals etc.).
If you have any photos like these, please send me on the address encyclopedia@uniforminsignia.org Thanks.
I will be informing you on the news.
Pavel Močoch
OWNER
OWNER

Re: 2017 - New websites of Encyclopedia

Unread postby Silverturtle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm

WOW! Only 4 days have elapsed since you floated the idea. That is quick work.
Silverturtle
VISITOR
VISITOR

Unread postby Dorward_Bis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Great job, Pavel! And as you know, you can always count on me with both Russian and Ukrainian versions)
aka Dorward and Dmitry Belokurov
Dorward_Bis
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Pavel Močoch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Dmitry,
Thank you, I'm counting on you and I'm looking forward to our cooperation.

Dorward_Bis wrote:Great job, Pavel! And as you know, you can always count on me with both Russian and Ukrainian versions)
Pavel Močoch
OWNER
OWNER

Unread postby Pavel Močoch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi,
My previous health condition taught me that I must work qucikly now :-)

Silverturtle wrote:WOW! Only 4 days have elapsed since you floated the idea. That is quick work.
Pavel Močoch
OWNER
OWNER

Unread postby Miklós Lovász » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:04 pm

I'll do Hungarian and Romanian, if you're interested.
Miklós Lovász
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Pavel Močoch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:22 am

Hi Miklós,
SUPER ! :-)

Miklós Lovász wrote:I'll do Hungarian and Romanian, if you're interested.
Pavel Močoch
OWNER
OWNER

Unread postby marcpasquin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm

I can do French

Also, somethings that just occurred to me: a number of countries use insignia pattern that are derived from other countries. Some are former colonies or puppet states while others have had their military or other uniform services were set up using foreign advisers. Maybe something interesting would be to find a way to indicate this, for example an icon with "UK" within a chevron outline to indicate a given system is derived from the British pattern.

Another option if text description is given of the organisation would be to include a note of the pattern followed and why. For example, albania's officer's insignias used just before being invaded were clearly based on WW1 vintage italian insignias which at the time was the origin of most instructors in the albanian royal army. Post WW2 we then see Albania adopting russian type insignia at a time when it was part of the communist black only to drop them shortly after the Soviet-chinese split when albania sided with china following its example, dropped rank distinctions.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby marcpasquin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Another idea would be to include the source use for the images: primary (directly from the organisation itself) or secondary (from someone not directly affiliated with the organisation). It would also be a good idea to indicate if its based on a rendering (written description or drawing), a sighting of an insignia as part of a collection or on a sighting of the insignia in use (being on site or via a photo/video).

The reason why this might be of use is that there is a number of time when the uniforms and insignia as worn diverge from the official description of them. Insurgent groups in the middle of a conflict often simply went with what they could scrounge rather then try to follow official guidelines. Also, I remember seeing a number of official decrees from the 18th and early 19th century warning officers, who at the time paid for their own uniforms, to follow guidelines to the letters and not try to embellish them meaning that the practice was probably quite widespread. In both these cases it means that pointing the source of our information can help reconcile what at first would seem like contradictions.
Marc Pasquin
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Unread postby Helios88 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:21 pm

I may provide some advice in Italian translations. :)
Helios88
VISITOR
VISITOR

Advertisement

Email Converter - our sponsor

Return to ANNOUNCEMENT & INFORMATION